Expedition / Navigator

Code Experience To Share

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Code Experience To Share

Thought since I've used the board so much to help I'd do a post that would maybe help someone else. This will be long but hopefully help someone else.

The wife's Expy has been running with the Check Engine Light on and since the tag has now expired it was time to fix. After checking around still took it to AutoZone for the codes. I know I've read all the posts too but you know what...it's FREE.

My codes were
P0141: "The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the heater circuit for oxygen sensor 2 in bank 1."
P0136: "The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for oxygen sensor 2 in bank 1."
P0401:"The PCM has determined that there is insufficient flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system."

OK, so the fun begins. The Expy did this once before and I spent about $700 for a tune up, EGR, cleaning and something else. That was several thousand miles ago. I'm wiser, braver and smarter ( and can't believe I forked the $$ before). So I checked here a couple of times and opened up the tool box. Had already completed a tune up and sprayed down the throttle body but after a few miles the CEL came back on. This time I got serious.

Based on the codes bought two cans of throttle body cleaner and the bank 1 sensor 2 O2 Sensor at Auto Zone ( Bosch # 15717 )and came home. Based on more searches here decided since I knew the throttle body/EGR was surely dirty I would clean that first and then replace the O2 if the CEL continued.

Removed the throttle body cover. Then EGR. Immediately noticed that is looked like the EGR had not been sealing good against the throttle body. Began spraying with the throttle body cleaner. THIS PART IS BAD BUT TURNS OUT GOOD. Red straw from cleaner pops off and is shot right into EGR hole on throttle body. GREAT! PERFECT! MANY BAD WORDS ARE SPOKEN. ( RULE#1 in my home, when I'm working on something within homestead boundry NO ONE comes to check on me, bring me anything, tell me I have a phone call, see why I'm screaming etc. ) STARE AT EXPY FOR 5 MINTUES.

OK. What the heck. Out comes the 8mm open end. Off came the Throttle Body. Best move I made all day!. BOTH EGR PORTS AT THROTTLE BODY ARE COMPLETELY CLOGGED WITH CARBON. Another trip to parts store for two more BIG CANS of throttle body cleaner, EGR gasket, throttle body gasket, Copper Spray A Gaskert and, two feet of 3/8 inch hose ( there is some hose on the back of the throttle body that runs to this gizmo at the power brake booster which seemed to be almost crumbling so I replaced it during this "adventure").

Came back and worked, worked, worked to get ALL of the carbon out of the EGR passages. What I would have given for some metal gun cleaning brushes! Coated gaskets with Copper Spray A Gasket and after cleaning to my satisfaction ( could eat off it ) bolted everything back together. After the resulting smoke storm of about 1/2 can of throttle body cleaner I finished up into the uppper intake area she ran nice and smooth again and with no CEL. Sweet.

Almost. Few more miles. Trip to the Emission guy results in FAIL. PCM has not completely reset after the clear ( disconnected negative cable during repairs ). Explain what I did to the guy who was nice and said " no problem, let it "relearn" and bring it back by in day or two if CEL stays off. Should be good to go then. Will print out new test page. Now that will be $25". OK I can deal with that, the wife can drop back by and 5 minutes later have the test page.

On the drive home CEL comes back on. RATS ( other words but you know ). Get home figure, what the heck and take out the O2 sensor I purchased. Double check the part number on the AutoZone web site cause I'm paranoid they sold me the wrong thing ( bank 1 sensor 2 is bank 1 pass or driver side crap. Could there not be and easier way to number, code, determine these things!) Anyway. It checks out so, I head out with 22mm open end in hand. Easy enough. Bank 1: pass-side Sensor 2: behind cat. BIG PROBLEM. Wiring from sensor not long enough. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Double check web site. Double check codes. Double check everything. Same result. WIRING NOT LONG ENOUGH. More bad words, back to AutoZone.

Expy is really running well so I decide. I'm gonna have them scan it again to be sure. Go inside return O2 sensor. Ask for re-scan. Re-scan returns only one code P0401. My work on the EGR and throttle body cleaning cleared two codes! Elbow work and $20.00 worth of "supplies" I love this stuff again! OK back to the last code ( See above ). HASSLE. AutoZone does not have another O2 sensor. The only other two the list are Bosch 15729 which is a "universal" unit which means YOU SPLICE the wiring. NO THANKS. And Valucraft XS15717 which is not a "stocked item". GREAT WONDERFUL. MORE BAD WORDS ( in head). Now what.

Well to say it, my AutoZone guys were cool. Not parts pushy. Scanned without hesitation. For free. I have no complaints about what they were able to offer. Except one thing. The don't carry the right parts ( memo to AutoZone management ). Stopped at the Advance AutoParts that I pasted on the way to Auto Zone. Obtain Bosch 15718 ( very long wiring harness ) for exactly the same price ( pull refund from pocket and hand it over, guy was like "boy you knew how much these cost don't you". Well I do NOW!)

Came home installed ( and 15718 even comes which zip ties for the extra cable ) in 5 minutes and no CEL light thus far. Emissions opens at 9am Monday. I know who the first one for the day will be!

Life is good again.

Like I started. Sorry for the long post but just an effort to repay possibly for all the help that I have gotten.

Quick Reply: Code Experience To Share