Expedition / Navigator

Gauge Cluster Swap.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Cluster Swap.....

Ok, I am new to this forum and I am starting to search so if this is a big topic. I am sorry, but...

I have a 00 Expo. Gauge cluster crapped out on me so I bought a cluster off ebay to replace. Swapped it in and the theft light blinks and truck won't start.

I was unsure of before hand, but found out the the new cluster needs to be recoded? Does anyone know what they have to do? Who does it? Cost? Anything I can do?

The dealer told me due to miles not being the same they wouldn't touch it. Then they will have to recode the cluster and I will have to buy two new keys? Is this guy on point or a normal dealer tech?

Old 10-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Swapping that cluster WILL get you into big trouble.
When you go to get your inspection done, the mileage will not match etc.
It is considered odometer fraud.
When ever you buy a new cluster from Ford, you have to give them the mileage so the cluster can be calibrated.

The anti-theft module is built into the cluster. So you will have to have two keys programmed to allow the vehicle to start.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 PM
The problerm is, I got it inspected the other day and that was fine. All gauges are broken except the speedometer, so I need to get it fixed. The dealer told me they want even do the keys until the miles are fixed. I have both and the real miles, but who do I get to help me with this?

Old 10-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Did the cluster you bought off ebay have miles on it or was it brand new?

Old 10-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Has miles. old 102k New 54k. I have no problem getting it corrected as that was my intention from the start.

Old 10-23-2004, 05:23 PM
...........I guess, tow it to another dealer and don't mention the cluster swap. Just tell them you want two keys pgmed.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Swap.....