Expedition / Navigator

03 Expy, rough idle and hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 expedition (5.4 engine) idles rough and intermittently will not start. It will either crank for 5-10 seconds then start or just crank forever. Shut the key off, try it again and it will start right up. Problem seems to occur more frequently after it rains and after driving then sitting for 1-2 hours.

It's been to the dealer 5 times, replaced 2 COP's, crankshaft sensor, some alternator harness, and checked the GEM module, IACV and others.

They can not duplicate the problem because it is so intermittent. I've seen many posts about the rough idle but interested if anyone else has this intermittent no start problem.

Help, I'm completely stumped.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:37 PM

I noticed a TSB from ford on the 03 expedition that referred to codes po231 and po232. They both are related to fuel pressure and the description describes no-start conditions like I'm experiencing.

Question is would I always get a check engine light if I had one of these codes even if the no-start and rough idle is intermittent ?

Old 12-11-2004, 02:25 AM
It doesn't throw a "service engine soon" light?

Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Could be fuel pressure regulator...could be fuel pump too.

Here's something to try...
Before starting the vehicle, try going key-on engine off a few times (maybe 2 times) pausing a few seconds between the next cycle. You usually hear the fuel pump run for a second.

The idea is to see if you get the fuel pressure up before you attempt to start if you experience anything different. At least that can point you in the right direction. I've also seen a faulty computer/ECM give some issues like this.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply,

No codes are ever thrown during either a no-start or rough idle condition. Also I have tried to cycle the key on / off prior to starting but it does not help.

Someone on another forum recommended an IACV that could be sticking. This morning, the truck did not start, and when it finally did, lot's of smoke came out of the tailpipe.

What should I have the dealer check regarding the fuel pressure, in case it is related to that ?

Quick Reply: 03 Expy, rough idle and hard to start