Expedition / Navigator

Exhaust Quest. And Yes I did a search....lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Quest. And Yes I did a search....lol

OK, I am thinking about an exhaust to replace the restrictive OEM one.

Ok I read ALOT of posts by you guys to sort of "catch up" and I read alot of horsep[ower and sound gains but not to many folks mentioned the backpressure. With a high flowing exhaust it'll reduce the amount of backpressure and therefore make your torque go to hell when you need it to carry its big *** body...

SO if I get some of these unheard of names, even though good or better, alot of shops won't put it on unless you buy it from them.

So I was thinking about something like a flowmast but if I get one off ebay I don't know which one to get. Center intel side out or center center, or ???? You guys need to help me with that.

Another guy told me about something called IMCO. How are these? They aren't too much and seem to do the same as the flowmaster, true?

I want torque/horsepower gains and not spend a whole lot of money as I don't have it right now.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 AM
so I take it every single one of the 30 people who read this have stock exhausts?

Well, for you 30 people, have you thought about putting on a muffler?

What ideas do you have and what info have you gained in the time searching?

If not, do you know what a mullfer is? There might be a chance that a good number of the folks who read it don't know what a muffler is. I am not being sarcastic either. A guy I spoke to today didn't even know. So hell, maybe most of the people that come on these boards are trying to figure out what a muffler is and other components and are too afraid to open their mouth do to the fact that they don't want to sound stupid:confused. Hey, its a guess.... :

Old 11-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Generally, I think most people are split on true duals (2.25-inch or 2.5-inch tubes) and a single 3-inch setup.

Exhasut flow - the backpressure you mention- is the key. Too much flow and the gas gets more dense and cool within the pipes, so you lose power forcing the gas out. You need this gas to rtetain heat and energy, so that it not only exits your system, but also scavenges following gasses, "pulling" them out of your engine.

As for the muffler, I like the Magnaflows because it is a straight-thru design (there are likely others with this design, but that's what I have). I like the Flowmaster sound, but the baffles in the muffler are in the path of the exhaust flow, which doesn't seem optimal.

I've heard of IMCO, but only their marine exhausts - which are very good. If they can survice a corrosive marine environment, then I bet they'll last a long time on a car. But I just don't have any info about their car stuff.

If you change your setup but keep it single-out, I'd replace the factory y-pipe/collector, where the two pipes leaving your engine merge. At least on mine, when we removed it, the internal openings were TINY. A small socket wouldn't even pass thru the opening, it was really choked-down. A new y-ppe is only like $30, and this is a huge bottleneck, IMHO.

I'm not crazy about duals on these engines (for the reasons you mention) unless you have a blower or are making big power. But if you do go with duals, don't go overboard on the pipe sizing - you want to make sure the flow is optimized.

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do

Last edited by Jordan not Mike; 11-23-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Jordan not Mike
Generally, I think most people are split on true duals (2.25-inch or 2.5-inch tubes) and a single 3-inch setup.

Exhasut flow - the backpressure you mention- is the key. Too much flow and the gas gets more dense and cool within the pipes, so you lose power forcing the gas out. You need this gas to rtetain heat and energy, so that it not only exits your system, but also scavenges following gasses, "pulling" them out of your engine.

As for the muffler, I like the Magnaflows because it is a straight-thru design (there are likely others with this design, but that's what I have). I like the Flowmaster sound, but the baffles in the muffler are in the path of the exhaust flow, which doesn't seem optimal.

I've heard of IMCO, but only their marine exhausts - which are very good. If they can survice a corrosive marine environment, then I bet they'll last a long time on a car. But I just don't have any info about their car stuff.

If you change your setup but keep it single-out, I'd replace the factory y-pipe/collector, where the two pipes leaving your engine merge. At least on mine, when we removed it, the internal openings were TINY. A small socket wouldn't even pass thru the opening, it was really choked-down. A new y-ppe is only like $30, and this is a huge bottleneck, IMHO.

I'm not crazy about duals on these engines (for the reasons you mention) unless you have a blower or are making big power. But if you do go with duals, don't go overboard on the pipe sizing - you want to make sure the flow is optimized.

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do

thanks for your help bro. So basically if I stay single and not dual, put a flow master, or a glass pack for that matter (older design creates less flow performance, which means more back pressure, right?)

Then if I do the y-pipe then that should create enough with the glass pack or flowmaster? I would still assume so. Anything not dual should be fine, do I have that right.

Thx, seriously, for your help man...

Old 11-26-2004, 06:04 PM
I think a dual setup - done correctly - can be fine, too. Just keep the pipe size reasonable. e.g. A dual wth 3-inch piping is too much...

I would concentrate on the pipe size overall, and choose the muffler for the sound. While I don't like baffles in the way of exhaust flow, I think most mufflers will affect the sound more than the performance.

Let us now what you do

Old 11-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Magnaflow is by far the best system for this application. I will be purchasing my all stainless system (single) from Troyerperformance.com for $459.
This is by far the best deal, and you will never have to worry about it again. I have had the Magnaflows on the Lightning for a few years, and most Lightnings, and Cobra's run them as well.
I have heard Flowmasters and Gibson exhausts on the 5.4 and did not like the sound.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:46 AM
Hey thanks for your input.

But Jordan and Cobra, what if I do NOT have big bucks to spend?

Allowing the ol' '92 reg cab ranger to sit as i have spent $12,000 in the past 2 yrs I am tired of it. So I bought this and gas prices ****ed my budget up. Not to mention a new car note and more than double insurance rate. So it caught me off guard a little and watch the cash more than I didn when I had no note and a **** load of repairs at random.

So I am trying to get some sort of performance/fuel economy (not the best vehicle for it but any little bit helps)...

I cut my air box ( I call it that as I am sportbike technical and I know bikes better than vehicles with all the emmisions crap and computer deal). So the "air box" and now made it the free flowing deal to release strain from sucking in from the fender/wheel well (wherever it goes)....

That did a little. Now it can suck the air in but can't blow it out. So I need to make my next move in the muffler dept. I am assuming anything will work. And no bro, I don't plan on any dual anything. Just where the OEM muffler is, is where the glass pack ($50 installed where as the Flowmaster is $140 installed). I could give a rats as what it sounds like to be totally honest.

As long as its doing something beneficial.

With that said would you just go with a long cherry bomb to take the place of the stock and then replace it when I get some real money ($500+) to spend on an exhaust? Right now everything will stay the same except for the muffler...

SO with that being known guys what would you do personally?

With the least amount to spend, whith the most gas/performance you can get with that amount as alot of names you pay for too when they don't do much more than the cheapo muffie.

Hey, again, thx for your time...

Quick Reply: Exhaust Quest. And Yes I did a search....lol