Expedition / Navigator

EGR insufficient flow, excessive, and more insufficient...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR insufficient flow, excessive, and more insufficient...

I have been having problem with the computer. I get a check engine light and went to Auto Zone and goes on and off.

It'll go on for a few days and off for a wk or two. Then come back on and off and the cycle continues.

Out of the past several wks. I have gotten 3 insufficient, 1 excessive flow, and another insufficient flow in the EGR...

The shops without seeing or diagnosing say its the ERG valve. Yea, the most expensive part in the system. I see the are hungry for cash. But I am hungry to save my ****. I am not bill gates and still in school right now. SO things are harsh until I get going.

LIsten to this. The Ford dealership told me it would cost $75/hr for labor. They said it would take 4hrs. Then the price of the part, "the ERG valve which goes wrong all the time. We see them at the shop and do at least 18/wk. "

Yea, suuuuuuure. 18 of pure rip off when you can spray carb cleaner and clear it out and reinstall. But they have to make their money somehow.

But here's the ****ed up thing. Don't make it off me. They did my transmission in the 92 ranger 2X (2nd due to shop error) and charged me $2750/ea time....SO don't **** me over anymore. You got your money out of me...Just give me honest truth.

But to diagnose it they want to charge $129.... No way. I'll take my chances with fixing it myself. Its not hard in any way shape or form to replace the valve or the sensor that has the little clip. IN the manual I have it shows the ERG senor. But Other people and forums keep calling it the DPFE sensor which auto zone has no idea what it is and has never heard of it. Not on of the emplyees know what it is.

So can you guys clarify if its that sensor that has the 2 screws that hold it and the egr valve together and has the little clip electronic deal?

One of the mechanics said that its prob the sensor, another "mom and pop" shp owner who worked for for for 14yrs said that ford has a screwy sensor and 9X out of 10 its this, then I heard the sensor from someone else.

SO have you heard of the sensor going foul at random?

I used some sea foam and ran it through the vaccum line from the brake booster, half the can, then put the rest in the tank, then it came on for 2 days then wnet out.

So I thought if its electronic it works or it doesn't. If it were the electronic it'd be out, and the check engine light would stay on until fixed. Is this true or do they start acting up?

Thx for any help...

Last edited by webmaster; 12-03-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few quick checks to make. If you have a 4.6L , then clogged egr ports in the intake turndown elbow are very common.

To check the egr valve, take loose the vacuum connection on the valve and then using a short piece of vac line, connect it to the egr valve and suck on it like a milkshake,, this should kill a idling engine if the egr valve is good..

Next common problem is rotten vacuum lines right behind the battery,,, there is a 4 way rubber plug where the problem occurs. You can pull the vacuum connector off the egr vac regulator, little round sensor with a slotted round top, the vac line from the egr valve goes to it, the other line is the source. Place your finger on the connector source side , with the engine idling it should have a strong enough vacuum to firmly suck your finger to it.

Next is the DPFE sensor aka egr sensor. It is rectuangular 1.5x3 inches. Has an electrical connector and two rubber hoses that attach to the exhaust tube going to the EGR valve. There are ways to test it with a volt meter but I am not familiar with the procedure.. I think it is about a 50 dollar piece and is very common to crap out.

This is the same info I gathered from the engine forum that I used to fix my excessive flow, insufficent flow error. Mine was cracked vacuum lines behind the battery. 97 5.4 Expey.

I hope one of these helps and it isnt something more involved. Good luck

Old 12-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 864Lightning
Here are a few quick checks to make. If you have a 4.6L , then clogged egr ports in the intake turndown elbow are very common.

To check the egr valve, take loose the vacuum connection on the valve and then using a short piece of vac line, connect it to the egr valve and suck on it like a milkshake,, this should kill a idling engine if the egr valve is good..

Next common problem is rotten vacuum lines right behind the battery,,, there is a 4 way rubber plug where the problem occurs. You can pull the vacuum connector off the egr vac regulator, little round sensor with a slotted round top, the vac line from the egr valve goes to it, the other line is the source. Place your finger on the connector source side , with the engine idling it should have a strong enough vacuum to firmly suck your finger to it.

Next is the DPFE sensor aka egr sensor. It is rectuangular 1.5x3 inches. Has an electrical connector and two rubber hoses that attach to the exhaust tube going to the EGR valve. There are ways to test it with a volt meter but I am not familiar with the procedure.. I think it is about a 50 dollar piece and is very common to crap out.

This is the same info I gathered from the engine forum that I used to fix my excessive flow, insufficent flow error. Mine was cracked vacuum lines behind the battery. 97 5.4 Expey.

I hope one of these helps and it isnt something more involved. Good luck

Hey thx alot man. I am going to run through it and yea, I have heard 9X out of ten its something other than the egr valve itself but you know shops want to sell you everything...

Old 12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
hey what will happen if I just keep driving on it for another month or so until I fix it...

Old 12-15-2004, 08:08 PM
I had the same problem & it was the DPFE sensor. I shave a friend that is a Ford mechanic & said that is a very common problem with them & it is now made of plastic vs. metal. The sensor was 64.58 with my discount. List is 86.11. A very easy install. Good luck

Old 12-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by rhdf150
I had the same problem & it was the DPFE sensor. I shave a friend that is a Ford mechanic & said that is a very common problem with them & it is now made of plastic vs. metal. The sensor was 64.58 with my discount. List is 86.11. A very easy install. Good luck
What if I buy the one that they have in autozone? I hear its the same part. If you go to Ford you pay for the name but the manufacter makes the same thing for both autozone and Ford. All they do is put it in a different box and is the same identical part.

Ever heard this?

Oh yea, and they DON'T know what the DPFE sensor is. What is another name for it? EGR pressure sensor? Is that it?

Old 12-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Here is a link for the part. You can get it for 64.58 on line. The description is Emission system - Emission system - Egr system - Pressure sensor

Good luck

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213912

Old 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rhdf150
Here is a link for the part. You can get it for 64.58 on line. The description is Emission system - Emission system - Egr system - Pressure sensor

Good luck

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213912
thanks but they don't have one for mine. All the have on is for the 97-01 4.6L, nothing for ther 98-99 5.4L or the Navi.....

Quick Reply: EGR insufficient flow, excessive, and more insufficient...