Expedition / Navigator

2002 4x4/4WD problems - information please

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 4x4/4WD problems - information please

I took my 2002 4x4 to the snow for the first time. Mammoth Mountain here in California got 14+ inches over Thanksgiving.

As you know, 02s have A4WD, 4HI, and 4LO with NO 2HI (I realize there is a sort of hack to get the 2HI).

When there was sufficient snow on the ground, I put the switch into 4HI. I left the selector on 4HI for the duration of the snowfall. The system seemed to work well until something strange occured. We went to have lunch (with 4H driving to resturant and away from resturant), the vehicle was parked for about one hour, when I pulled away to make a right turn, only the rear wheels would spin. Mind you, the switch remained in 4HI and 4x4 has been working prior to this. I managed to drive out and came to an uphill stop light. When the light turned green, only the rear wheels would spin. The 4x4 light stayed on the whole time.

I stopped, put the switch back into A4WD, then to 4HI, then to 4LO (in neutral). I heard the motor clunk when I switched to 4LO. I then switched back to 4HI and I was able to smoothly pull away (with 4x4 now working). The problem never reoccured. I tested 4x4 all afternoon (uphill with lots of snow) and everything worked fine.

Questions: 1) Does my 02 4x4 use a vacuum-operated front axle engagement switch? If so, is this the likely cause? If not, what are other the other possible causes for what I experienced?

2) I know A4WD senses wheel slip and uses electromechanical clutch to redirect power to the front. If my 02 uses a vacuum switch for the front axle, is the system both engaging the transfer case clutch and the front axle vacuum switch when power it directed to the front? Just curious.

3) If so, when in 4HI, I presume that the front vacuum switch is always engaged and the transfer case is locked. When I turn of the car, I presume that the front is disengaged until I start the engine again (since there is no vacuum when the vehicle is off)?

I would appreciate any information or feedback.

JAMES.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, more than I can answer. But I put mine in 4AWD after having it in 4L from getting someones F350 4x4 stuck from driving over the curb and had a tire dangling over the curb (sits next to a ditch) and when I put it in 4awd it still was behaving like 4x4. So, after utting it in nuetral I slowly truned it back down then up and heard a click/clunk and it worked again... I guess its something that has to do with the switch and if it engages or not....Sometimes you have to fumble slowly with them for the computer to work right...

Quick Reply: 2002 4x4/4WD problems - information please