Expedition / Navigator

Aftermarket receiver with Mach system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rainman15
They are going to refund my money, but the wasted time is worth more than the 20 bucks to me. I did pull my stock deck out to look at the connections. It has a rectangle shaped plug on the top left corner and a long thing plug in the middle. I still have the harness from my 03 Lightning on the deck I intend to use and I pulled the expy deck to verify it wouldn't work prior to trying to order a new harness. As for the heat sink on the sides I don't exactly know what that means.
So they couldnt offer to send you the correct harness?

By heat sinks, I mean like gray metal fins on the sides. Like the fins on a amp.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Buzzz
So they couldnt offer to send you the correct harness?

By heat sinks, I mean like gray metal fins on the sides. Like the fins on a amp.
They did offer to send the correct harness, but it was over $50 so I declined. The installation of the aftermarket deck was just a temporary fix anyway. I'm going to install my entire system this spring once it warms up and finally stops snowing. I just wanted something decent to listen to until then. Obviously that isn't possible with the mach system.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM
They did offer to send the correct harness, but it was over $50 so I declined. The installation of the aftermarket deck was just a temporary fix anyway. I'm going to install my entire system this spring once it warms up and finally stops snowing. I just wanted something decent to listen to until then. Obviously that isn't possible with the mach system.
You must have the mach setup that has power amps that power the speakers as opposed to the head unit powering the system.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:34 PM
From what they said the 97/98's had amps for the forward speakers (everything but the rear sub) in line between the deck and the speaker, and the 99-02 had the amp for the forward speakers built into the head unit. To run an aftermarket deck on the 97/98 the harness has electronic adapters built in to level the power input to those factory amps. You can't run power to power. Boom!

Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
From what they said the 97/98's had amps for the forward speakers (everything but the rear sub) in line between the deck and the speaker, and the 99-02 had the amp for the forward speakers built into the head unit. To run an aftermarket deck on the 97/98 the harness has electronic adapters built in to level the power input to those factory amps. You can't run power to power. Boom!
Yeah, that makes sense. I read somewhere than someone took the pre outs on his aftermarket deck and connected them the the speaker ins on the metra wire harness and it worked. But if your going to run your own amps, it may not be worth it.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Got the harness and installed it and hooked up my xm commander to it,,,,, it sounds really great, i didnt expect that from the stock sub, wow!..

Does anyone have any tips for mounting the xm on the centerconsole right where it meets the dash under the hvac controls? I was thinking ole fashion velcro would do the trick?

Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MattStarr
Got the harness and installed it and hooked up my xm commander to it,,,,, it sounds really great, i didnt expect that from the stock sub, wow!..
?

Yeah, because the signal strength from your sub out is much more than the OEM deck. I have my sub level set to -3.

Makes me want a better/bigger sub though. Its just a teaser

Old 03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Buzzz
Yeah, because the signal strength from your sub out is much more than the OEM deck. I have my sub level set to -3.

Makes me want a better/bigger sub though. Its just a teaser
I notice that if I turn it up past about +2, i get a "popping" sound from the sub....I plugged the rca from the harness to the red rca hanging out of the back of the pioneer deck...is this hooked up right? thnx

Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I notice that if I turn it up past about +2, i get a "popping" sound from the sub....I plugged the rca from the harness to the red rca hanging out of the back of the pioneer deck...is this hooked up right? thnx
The red hanging out of the pioneer was the sub out rca right?

I get a slight pop too if I crank the sub level past +1. Its overloading the stock amp. Just keep the level lower.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
yeah, but then there were 2 sets of rca's actually in the back of the HU NOT hanging out....

Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 PM
yeah, but then there were 2 sets of rca's actually in the back of the HU NOT hanging out....
What model number do you have?

Some head unit leave the front and rear rca outs coming out of the chasis of the radio, while the sub out rca's are on a pigtail.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 PM
pioneer premier deh-p660

theres ones on the chassis, i have mine in the pig tail....

Old 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Yep. Thats them. Have you set them to Subwoofer in the setup menu?

Old 03-04-2005, 07:22 PM
yup, thanks man!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket receiver with Mach system?