Expedition / Navigator

Removing The Catalytic Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing The Catalytic Exhaust

I recently had an argument with a friend of mine in the philippines regarding removal of his catalytic converter in his 2004 xlt ford expe with a 4.6 v8 standard 4x2.
my question is, if he removed it, i know there are 4 small catalytic converters, 2 on each side, after removing it, would he still be able to start his expedition ?? whats the deal with the oxygen sensors ?? doesnt ford expe has a sensor on it that will prevent his engine from turning over after removal of his cat exhaust ??

2. if he indeed removes the cat converters, what benefits would he gain from doing it ?? would he get more milieage out of it and a lot more power ??

3. has anyone done this so far stateside ?? i know its against the law but i guess in the philippines, they dont care much about the cat converters...

4. is there a proper way of removing it ?? what happens to the 4 ? oxygen sensors ?? where would he attach it ??

tnx a lot for the help...were just curious re the removal of the cat exhaust and the after effects on it......coz i remember in the movie, italian job, the mechanic remove the cat exhaust of the 4 mini cooper and it was able to run .....tnx for the posts of answers....

Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I don't think that removing the cats will keep the truck from starting. It will definitely turn on the "check engine" light, but that can be defeated by various methods.

Not a lot of benefit to removing the cats- a small improvement in exhaust flow. The down-side to doing this is that if you don't re-tune the entire exhaust system, power will move up into a higher range of RPMs. "Low-end" power will be reduced.

I'm sure someone has removed their cats here in the US, but I don't see the risk/hassle being worth the reward. Just my opinion.

You can purchase devices that 'act' like a properly functioning O2 sensor. Just remove the sensor and plug in these devices.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nomo
Welcome to the site!

I don't think that removing the cats will keep the truck from starting. It will definitely turn on the "check engine" light, but that can be defeated by various methods.

Not a lot of benefit to removing the cats- a small improvement in exhaust flow. The down-side to doing this is that if you don't re-tune the entire exhaust system, power will move up into a higher range of RPMs. "Low-end" power will be reduced.

I'm sure someone has removed their cats here in the US, but I don't see the risk/hassle being worth the reward. Just my opinion.

You can purchase devices that 'act' like a properly functioning O2 sensor. Just remove the sensor and plug in these devices.
What he said.

You can get around the check engine problem with the trick
the 96+ mustang owners do w/a resistor.

however, there are far bigger restrictions than the cats in a
expy.. you might pick up 2-3hp tops.

engine is like a straw, having a straw with a funnel for one
end a pinhole on the other gains you nothing.

-d

Quick Reply: Removing The Catalytic Exhaust