Expedition / Navigator

help-door ajar light,dome light, wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help-door ajar light,dome light, wont shut off

started my exped this weekend and my door ajar light wouldn't shut off. Checked all doors and made sure there was nothing blocking them but it still wouldn't go off. Than I noticed as I was driving my interior lights were all on and than went off. Upon stopping at stop sign the lights all came back on. I was almost 5 miles down road before the doors locked which it should lock upon putting the car in gear. Anyone have any ideas? We've spent over 5,000.00 on this vehicle in repairs already and it's adding up fast.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Common problem. Squirt wd-40 on the latches, the actuator for the idiot light is built into the latch. Spray them and then open and close the door a couple times.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
This will work also for the locks?

Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Actualy its not built into the latch... It is a switch that is mounted to the latch....

First thing you will need to determine which door is causing the prob... Then remove door pnl... latch... then switch...throw away and replace the switch

Old 03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Wink

I will try the wd-40 and see what I come up with and go from there. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tball-
Yes, technically the switch is mounted on the latch. Spraying the latch works for the overwhelming majority of people experiencing this problem. There have been a couple people who said that the spray no longer worked after a few years and they ended up having to replace the switch. But if you could hit it with a squirt of spray and have it work perfectly for another year, would you still pull it all apart and replace it? I think I'd be spraying it until the switch actually broke instead of just sticking.

Although if you pay for the switch and come reassemble my door panel, I'd be glad to let you replace it.

Quick Reply: help-door ajar light,dome light, wont shut off