Expedition / Navigator

03 Expy / roaring when turning and mild exceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy / roaring when turning and mild exceleration.

My wife and myself just bought a 2003 Expedition EB. I have noticed that when I turn the wheel and excelerate (like turning onto a busy road) it has a roaring from underneath. It's almost like it has constant locking rear suspension and the wheels are trying to loose traction? Just curious. Never had a bigger vehicle with independent rear suspension.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Bradm

Old 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site. Does your Expy have the limited slip differential? Maybe it's a problem with it. Is it a 4x4 or 4x2? It's not in 4wd is it?

Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 PM
It is a 2wd.

Good question about the l.s.d. I'll have to check on that.

I guess the best thing to do is just take it in and have Ford look at it. It's still under warranty.

Thanks for the Welcome! I've always enjoyed reading in the F150 forums. I have a 98 and am glad to finally fill the garage with all Ford Products!

Bradm

Old 03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I just had my differential fluid changed and began experiencing the exact thing you described. What did you find out?

Old 03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
I haven't found anything out yet. I will try to take it to Ford next week while my wife and kids are on Spring Break. I may put it on the rack this weekend and just check some things out, visually.

I'll keep you posted.

Bradm

Old 03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
I went to a website called motorcraftservice.com and recieved some good info. The site recommends that when you change the differential fluid to use the Ford friction modifier xl3 and use a 75w140 gear oil. I will have this done Monday morning and get back with the forum with the results. If this does not fix my problem (I think it will) then I might be in trouble. Word to the wise. Do not go to a quick oil change place to get your differential fluid replaced. It is best to go to some place that specializes in that type of work.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You got that right!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Ok, here we go. I had the local Ford dealership change the fluid with the xl3 and the Ford grade gear oil. When I left the dealership I heard and felt the rubbing for about ten minutes(after my turns) After that I did not notice any noise or rubbing. I drove around town for about thirty to fourty-five minutes and did not hear a sound or felt any rubbing at all. I did however hear and felt it later on in the day a couple of times but it was very so lightly. After that I have not heard it at all. Bottom line. I believe that the Ford fluid change helped me out. It cost me 110 dollars. Hope this helps someone. P.

Quick Reply: 03 Expy / roaring when turning and mild exceleration.