Expedition / Navigator

2003 Expy - Reverse sensing has gone loco!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Expy - Reverse sensing has gone loco!

We have a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expy with the reverse sensing option. The sensors now sense things all the time while in reverse. For no reason they will start blaring and beeping. It has gotten worse over the last couple of weeks.

I am taking it into the dealer when we get back off vacation and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
RDW
My 2004 Navi has just developed this problem at 3,000 miles.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Here ya go-----
FORD:
2000-2004 EXCURSION, EXPEDITION
2001-2004 F SUPER DUTY

LINCOLN:
2000-2004 NAVIGATOR

ISSUE
Various 1999-2005 vehicles equipped with the Parking Aid reverse sensing system (RSS) may sound a warning tone when the vehicle is in reverse, even though there are no objects behind the vehicle.
ACTION
The condition MAY NOT be due to proximity sensor(s) malfunction but may be a normal operation characteristic, or due to sensor contamination (sensor being covered with dirt). Refer to the following description of OPERATION AND COMMON CAUSE OF WARNINGS, before replacing any sensor(s).

OPERATION AND COMMON CAUSE OF WARNINGS

The RSS is only operational when the vehicle is in reverse.
The RSS gives an audible warning to the driver when obstacles are within 1.8 meters (6 feet) from the vehicle, and when obstacles are within 46 cm (18 inches) on either side of the bumper.

In cases where the RSS gives warnings but nothing is within range of the vehicle sensors, or give warnings for three (3) seconds then ceases, the occurrence may be due to any of the following reasons.

BLOCKED/CONTAMINATED PROXIMITY SENSOR SURFACE:
Proximity sensor surfaces may be covered with snow, ice, dirt or mud. There is a gap between the sensor membrane and its plastic housing that must remain clear (Figure 1). If this space is contaminated with any foreign material the system may sound a continuous tone or intermittent tone. The sensor surface can be cleaned by a high pressure water spray.

SIDE COVERAGE SENSOR:

There is side/rear coverage that extends approximately 46 cm (18 inches) perpendicular from the side rear fascia. Side coverage is a desirable feature in a parking situation where the vehicle is involved in a very tight turn with little rearward movement, or where the vehicle is backing parallel to a large, extending obstacle such as a garage wall. If there is no encroachment between any of the outer sensors and an obstacle, then the warning will sound for three (3) seconds and cease. If vehicle or the obstacle begin to move closer to each other, then the warning will begin again. Obstacles within 25 cm (10 inches) of the fascia will always be reported with a continuous tone. This is considered normal operation.

ABNORMAL ROAD SURFACES:

The RSS may give warnings due to certain road surfaces with surface projections such as rocks, broken pavement, unplowed snow covered roads. This is considered normal operation.

OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES:

Very wet weather conditions, such as mist, frost or snow may provoke occasional warnings. The system may detect liftgate while open and certain trailer hitches and/or bicycle racks. External ultrasonic noise may be detected (high velocity air, machinery). This is considered normal operation.

SENSOR DIAGNOSTICS

1. Ensure that nothing is in detectable sensor-range 1.8 meters (6 feet) behind vehicle for the RSS.

2. Clean proximity sensors with a dry shop towel, and if required wash with water or a high pressure water wash if necessary to ensure that the membrane gap is free of any dirt or contamination.

I eliminated much of this message due to the reply that follows.

Bob

Last edited by ExpyBob; 06-30-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Off topic I know, but...

I ain't reading the whole bulletin myself right now, but if that's the TSB word for word, you may want to amend it slightly. TSBs are copyrighted material and Ford may have a cow if they see that info posted electronically in a public forum. I know, I've done it in the past, but I won't (and wouldn't) anymore. For the sake of F150online and it's staff, I'd trim some of that out. E-mailing or printing it out on paper don't matter, Ford doesn't care, electronically on the internet somewhere, that may be a problem.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:51 PM
I have "thouroughly cleaned" the sensors and we have not had a drop of rain(mist) in several weeks. It has just over 28,000 on it. Thanks for the post, I thought there was some info out there on this issue.

Jamie

Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
RDW
Sensors are clean - I guess I have to make a trip to the dealership.

Quick Reply: 2003 Expy - Reverse sensing has gone loco!