Expedition / Navigator

High Mileage Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Mileage Expedition

Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 5.4 litre, leather, etc... The only thing that worries me is the mileage, 159,000. Should I be concerned? I know that as long as they are highway, that is better, and if it was taken care of and all the proper maintence was done. How many miles can be expected of the 5.4 and the transmission? ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 AM
jcc
way to many miles, what is the price

Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
$7900

Old 07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I heard if you have a well maintained engine, you should expect at least 175000 from the 5.4. I've also seen others here that have gone to 200000 miles. Just depends on how the vehicle was maintained.

Good Luck

Jeff

Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I am going to pass on this one. If I wasn't planning on building a house, I would probably do it. Thanks again.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't be afraid of those miles if it's been maintained and is really clean, oh, and less than $7900?

Old 07-25-2005, 05:09 AM
I did the same thing. Boght it from a realtor who sells property for things like JC penny, walmart, etc.

Well, he had an 04 expie, a 04 Navi for his wife and both kids have brand new cars. Well. To make a long story short, he didn't take care of it for ****. They lie to make a sale.

Within the 1st 3mo I had to replace the DPFE sensor, the Solenoid for it.. Then I got HIT. I had to pay $6000 for a new motor, pay for a new rotor and brakes as the cheap ones put on borked and fell out resulting in metal to metal, I have a window that had a broken bullcrap as it won't slide down anymore correctly without help, the rear windshiled wiper motor is out and only works when you mess with it and when its raining that bad you don't want to be wet, and my emergency brake is messed.

I would think long and hard. Quit being cheap to get a high mileage vehicle. Use that 10,000 or so and use it on a down payment for an 04 or 05. That way you have NEW WITH warranty etc and a vehicle that SHOULD last longer...

Do what you want but read in here all the probs. They tend to have DPFE sensoir probs, the have the head problems with blwoing plugs, etc....

Are you ready to dump major cash in it in repairs or can you not afford this in the first plkace. Well, let me say I have the SAME EXACT model and get 9.4miles/gallon in town and 14.6 on the freeway.

YOu have to pay to play and its going to eat you up in gas. This isn't a vehicle that is anywhere close to getting or being gas efficient.

Its a gas hog. But if you don't care, think of the " what if's...."

What if they are lying and didn't take care of it like you said.

I bought it from a well off family man. And I got FUKED....

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I have a 99 Expy with 211000 + miles with virtually zero problems.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny A
I have a 99 Expy with 211000 + miles with virtually zero problems.

you bastid!!!! You are a lucky man.... And don't laugh at my hardships with my piece of tin.....

Old 07-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Taking a sellers word for something, and actualy having proof are different. Sorry you have problems with yours. But there are deals out there, and some of thos edeals may include needing some work. You have to do your due diligence on deals like that; and that's not always easy.

If I still had my 2000, although it wouldn't have but about 80k on it by now, I bet it would have gone 200k+ miles, if not more (More, as long as I backed off the amount of towing 7500# I did with it)! It was an awesome vehicle.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by BB123
you bastid!!!! You are a lucky man.... And don't laugh at my hardships with my piece of tin.....

Not laughin at ya.

But I really have had good luck with my truck. I bought it from a dealership, it was a warranty trade in. It had 36k miles on it and I bought in 2001. I am driving the tires off of it now. I have put nearly 9000 miles on it since 5/31. I decided to due something different and put 3:73 gears in. I did that in April. At first I thought I thought I was going to hate the gas mileage. In May I got a new SCT tune to correct my speedo as well as a performance tune. My gas mileage is great on the hwy 18-20 depending on how I drive it. City is around 14-16.

Again I am not laughin at ya I just think it is funny how one vehicle can be virtually problem free(other than normal stuff like brakes, etc...) and other vehicles have nothin but problems. I know it has to do with the way people care for the vehicle. But I don't take care as good as I should for the amount of miles I put on it.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Not laughin at ya.

But I really have had good luck with my truck. I bought it from a dealership, it was a warranty trade in. It had 36k miles on it and I bought in 2001. I am driving the tires off of it now. I have put nearly 9000 miles on it since 5/31. I decided to due something different and put 3:73 gears in. I did that in April. At first I thought I thought I was going to hate the gas mileage. In May I got a new SCT tune to correct my speedo as well as a performance tune. My gas mileage is great on the hwy 18-20 depending on how I drive it. City is around 14-16.

Again I am not laughin at ya I just think it is funny how one vehicle can be virtually problem free(other than normal stuff like brakes, etc...) and other vehicles have nothin but problems. I know it has to do with the way people care for the vehicle. But I don't take care as good as I should for the amount of miles I put on it.

you pretty much bought yours with virtually zero miles on it for what it is supposed to do. So you maintinaed it religiously...

I got mine from what I assumed was a well kept man. What a fake that was.

So now its just the road ahead to see whatelse if anything else goes wrong...

Time will tell. I know your not laughing at me man. Come on dude, I have skin so tough that I could make sand paper jeolous...

So you in your case came out pretty good.....

So all I can say to you is in this picture as they are supposed to be of a 1000 words..........

Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by BB123
you pretty much bought yours with virtually zero miles on it for what it is supposed to do. So you maintinaed it religiously...

I got mine from what I assumed was a well kept man. What a fake that was.

So now its just the road ahead to see whatelse if anything else goes wrong...

Time will tell. I know your not laughing at me man. Come on dude, I have skin so tough that I could make sand paper jeolous...

So you in your case came out pretty good.....

So all I can say to you is in this picture as they are supposed to be of a 1000 words..........

Skin that will make sand paper jealous. Now that is funny I don't care who you are.

Sorry your havin the problems.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Skin that will make sand paper jealous. Now that is funny I don't care who you are.

Sorry your havin the problems.

Yea, hopefully it'll all fall through. I have a ford ranger that is paid off and is just sitting in my driveway. I am figuring I shoudl just sell it....put the money in the bank for future prob's or put it on the bike I have been waiting on...

Not sure. The 06's come out in November. But not sure if I want a bike that is worth more than the expedition.

I'll figure something out.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Although 159,000 is a bunch of miles, $7,900 for an Expedition is a steal...

There is onw word I want you to consider: CARFAX as in; http://www.carfax.com

Sure- you'll spend 12-15 dollars to find out what's up with the truck, but if you get the truck- $15.00 is 1/4 tank of gas, and a small price to pay for peace of mind.

With all the Honda's, Yota's, and more clocking over 300,000 miles- I wouldn't brag about 175,000 on a Ford. If I keep mine, I sure hope to be one of those people that can say: (I had 300,000 miles on it before it started giving me any real trouble)

Last edited by cia-agent; 08-02-2005 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Expedition