Expedition / Navigator

Replacing stock Contintals, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing stock Contintals, need suggestions

OK I know it's asked like once a month, but I don't want big, or aggressive, I just need a good traction, quiet tire to replace my stock Contentials for my 2000 EB.

Just crossed 55k, had several flats fixed, now tread is getting thin and it'll be time to replace soon (after final payment in a month, maybe as late as after christmas). I want something that is quiet, and smooth. I do 0 off roading, snow is rare, maybe 3-5" once or twice a year, but we do get a good bit of rain (25% of driving maybe) and summers get to 100+, winters to -10. I do all semi-city driving, little highway, mostly country mile blocks.

Should I stick with same cheap Contentials/Generals, Big O, or I'd love some Michellin's but that might break the bank, esp at $3+ gal gas! I'm looking for a bargain, not cheap, best bang for the buck (cost per mille you could say) I'd rater spend $25 more now and get an extra 10k miles out of the tire. Is Warrenty miles an expected lifetime of the tire? ie will 80k will really last 80k?
Example Cont. $126 80k = $.0016/mi vs Michellin $175 65k = $.0027/mi

I don't have a $ on Big O yet, but looking online at Wally/Sam's here's where I'm at so far:
275/60-17's:
Michellen SUV $175
Goodyear GT II $103
Contential $126

Should I go back to the 275/60's or stick with the 265/70's I got in the recall? It's been so long since the originals were on, but I think it looked better and handeled better, but it could be in my head.

I was hoping to take on of my first paid-off "payments" to get a set, but that's looking unlikely (<$600).

Thanks for any advice
Bryan

Old 09-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Michelin has three very popular SUV tires, priced around $20 away from each other - Pilot, Cross Terrain and LTX. I love the Michelin LTX's - very quiet, great traction. I can't speak for the other two. I have literally put them on every SUV I've had. I tried to get them from the get go on my 2003 Expy but they didn't have them in stock for the dealer to swap at the time. Big mistake, should have done it. I can't wait for the Contitracs to die. On my wife's Pathfinder I went to them after 10k and sold the BFG's locally and it was a night and day improvement in wet/snow driving. On my 1999 Expy I replaced Goodyears with a similar improvement in grip. Don't know if you have Costco where you are but their prices for the Michelins were the lowest of any place. You are actually right on time too - Michelin usually has fall and spring rebates - $25 per tire.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Sorry to answer my own post, but the Michelin rebate at Costco is $50 per set, my mistake. The program is going on now and ends 9/4

Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Cross Terrains on my '02 Lariat F150. I replaced some crappy, noisy Goodyears that I couldn't get to stop vibrating. Ran me $200 per tire but it was worth every penny. And as for your size difference, there is about 1" difference in profile between 275/60-17 and 265/70-17. The reason your Expy doesn't accellerate as well is because your gearing is now taller.

As far as handling, you need new shocks. Monroe Reflex are great, and half the cost of Bilsteins. There is absolutely no way your original factory shocks can be any good after 55K miles and 5 years.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To be honest with you, the stock Contentials on my Expy sucked big time. Just about any tire you buy will be a big improvement. It's a shame Ford puts a tire that sorry on a 40K SUV.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM
We had both the Michelin Cross Terrains and now the Pilots. Different vehicles also involved. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two, although for looks I think the Pilots win out. Other than that it's a toss up.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have had 2 sets of Michelin LTX's and that is all I will buy till they quit making them.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
Michelin Cross Terrains on my '02 Lariat F150. I replaced some crappy, noisy Goodyears that I couldn't get to stop vibrating. Ran me $200 per tire but it was worth every penny. And as for your size difference, there is about 1" difference in profile between 275/60-17 and 265/70-17. The reason your Expy doesn't accellerate as well is because your gearing is now taller.

As far as handling, you need new shocks. Monroe Reflex are great, and half the cost of Bilsteins. There is absolutely no way your original factory shocks can be any good after 55K miles and 5 years.
Looks like the crowd likes Michelin's. If I get desperate how bad is it to buy a pair at a time, say a month or two apart? (Like I said if desperate) and given the small difference of <1" keeping the same spare I have (again short drives).

I did get a pair of Edelbrock Performer IAS already, they are supposed to have a valve to make highways smoother, yet rough performance is good too, but I didn't notice any improvment over stock. Guess a 5 mil journey to work over fairly smooth roads is not a good test market.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I've done two vehicles with the IAS shocks (96 Explorer, 89 Wrangler). Also a great purchase in my opinion. Never tried any other brands. I hit it good with both the tires and the shocks and never had to go anywhere else. Kinda boring.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Have you checked Tire Rack for prices? They usually beat the pants off the locals, even when you add the shipping and M&B costs. If you buy all 4 at once, they offer a good road hazard warranty at a fairly decent cost as well. I've done a fair amount of business with them over the years, and I rate them pretty highly. Also to consider, if they're in your area, is Les Schwab Tires. One of the best for support and warranty I've ever done business with. They finally moved into my area last year, and I bought the latest set of tires for one of my BMW's there, and saved a couple hundred $$ on the deal over the other local stores for the same Toyo Proxes.

I have about 7500 miles on my ContiTracs, and like most of you, I think they're junk tires. They will probably be coming off and new Michelins going on before the rains start this winter.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM
How about Kelly Springfield

Friend of mine has these on his Expy and real happy with them, price, ride, handling.. Don't see them around at alot of dealers however.. enjoy..

Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Try Firestone!

I know what you're thinking after the Explorer debacle, but let me tell you, I just got a set of Destination ATs for my Expy and I'm really surprised. They were about $700 out the door for all 4 which was $200+ less than Bridgestone. I was originally debating the Michelin X terrains or BFG Long Trails. I had the same heartburn over the price of the Michelins.

The DATs seem really quiet and so far (1000 miles or so... PA to ME and back) they seem great, sharper turn in than the RT/S and good traction in the little bit of sandy mud (not the sticky stuff) I encountered in ME. They seemed quite good in the rain too, although that should be expected of any brand new sneakers on your rig.

GH

Last edited by GaryH319; 09-04-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Just remember, you get what you pay for. ANd in tires and toilet paper, what you get sticks with you. If you get a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires, you WILL get a great ride, and longetevity is good. I have a customer with those on a 97 Tahoe who got 122000 miles out of them, and they still had some tread, they were just dry rotted.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 PM
i picked up a set of new f150 fx4 takeoffs 275/65/18's w/goodyear ats' off ebay dirt cheap & i love 'em compared to the conti's!

Old 09-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fortera

I just installed my 3rd new set of tires on my 2000 Expy (lots of city driving).
Set #1: Michelin CrossTerrains 255/70R16
Set #2: Michelin CrossTerrains 275/70R16
Set #3: Goodyear Forteras 275/70R16

Only have the Fortera's one a couple of weeks and I love the way they feel and handle. No probs in rain, quiet on the highway and handles city bumps\potholes really well. So far, I highly recommened them.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Replacing stock Contintals, need suggestions