Expedition / Navigator

Looking at a 99 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 99 Expedition

Question for you F150-Expedition guys/gals...

I'm looking at a 99 expedition XLT with about 95K miles. It has the 4.6.

After looking it over and doing a BIT of research, I see that this vehicle is undergoing some of the usual age related failures.. the main issues I see are:
-The head gaskets are both weeping oil into the valley
-I smell coolant when the heat is on
-I feel a bit more vibrations than I am used to while it is idling

I'm buying this from a dealership so I spoke with the previous owner. He said the truck didn't burn any oil and wasn't a hard starter. So that is good I guess.

I am wondering if these items raise concerns with those more learned in the ways of the f150.(?) Also, how long do these motors typically last (with proper care and maint of course)?

I feel confident that I can repair these items myself (another FSM would need to be in my garage first) but I'm not sure if it's worth jumping into.

TIA,
D

Old 09-15-2005, 11:32 PM
The head gaskets are both weeping oil into the valley

Thats a job and a half

Old 09-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the price was around 7 grand or less I'd say go for it, especially since you already know you'll be putting work into it. The high miles don't scare me because I bought my 99 E.B. with 101K on it and everything under it is dry as a bone. I had a 98 Expy with 100K on it, and 45K of those miles were on the same oil without blowing it up. If this were my choice, I'd say to definately go for an Expy with a 5.4. I'm not knocking the 4.6 in any way, but I don't think you'll be happy with the power output on the 4.6, especially if you are gonna be towing or hauling alot of weight around. The amount of gas you'll save between the two engines isn't that different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info. This is just going to be a winter beater to replace my leased 00 Blazer. I'm not planning on towing much if anything at all. If I get hard up for more power I'll bolt a twinscrew on top (just kidding, all my modding money goes to the old nissan)

Anyhow, I plan on getting it so you might be seeing more of me in the future.

D

Quick Reply: Looking at a 99 Expedition