Expedition / Navigator

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold air intake

What is the best CAI for an 02 expedition? I'm looking for one that truly will not allow heat from the engine to enter the Air filter.
TIA

Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Before I decided to get the Granatelli CAI, I was going to get the Volant CAI which comes with a nice replacement box for the filter to sit in. Nice looking piece. K&N also makes their FIPK which has a barrier panel for keeping the hot engine air from getting at the filter. After doing some research online from people who dyno'd different CAIs, the open style seemed to get the best results with minimal heat soaking issues due to it being an open style. Wished I saved some of those links to document here. Most of it was right here, but may be on the F-150 forum. I searched using "granatelli" and/or "Volant" as key words if that's any help.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
You could spend a couple hundred bucks on one of those high dollar kits, or get the no name one off ebay for $35 + shipping and it works exactly the same, with the same "gains" if thats what you wish to call them.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
You could spend a couple hundred bucks on one of those high dollar kits, or get the no name one off ebay for $35 + shipping and it works exactly the same, with the same "gains" if thats what you wish to call them.
The kit I ended up purchasing was well under two hundred shipped, not a "few hundred". Just look for the sales out there a reputable online places. For me, I wouldn't be comfortable with taking a chance on one of those kits from ebay. How is it anchored in the engine bay? Will it fall out if you hit a decent bump? How is the quality of the filter (K&N type?). There is a rather expensive engine behind that CAI, and cheaping out on the filter makes no sense to me.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, the K&N has been around a while now, a just about everyone had copied it perfectly. I have run mine (supercharged 5.4 2V) with a K&N conical, and a knock off conical. The knock off actually filtered out more dirt than the K&N. (granted, conditions change day to day, but the K&N was relatively clean in comparison to the Knock off.

Its anchored via a bracket that comes with the kit that attaches to the MAF and bolts down where the old filter assembly was located pre install. Not only is it sturdy, but I have used the same guy on ebay for a jeep, 2 mustangs, my navigator, and even a honda and never had a problem.

Its kinda like diamonds. Sure, this one my be clearer in color and have less imperfections, but they both do the same thing, cept one costs you a crap pot more money for a difference that in the long run only you'll know.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake