Expedition / Navigator

5.4 Exp. Owners Please Share Your Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmontzsta
How is your 5.4? and how long do they last?

Mine has 124k on it and I bought it with 112k. So far it still runs like a brand new car. The only things that bother me are minor. The power mirrors did work when I bought the car. Now if I move them one way, they go two directions at once. ie: If I move them out right, they will go down and right at the same time.
Thats about it, I dont know much about the motor on these, I am more old school. What are the common problems with these?
My mother in law has a 97 that looks like a twin to the one in your signature pic. It is a 4x2, 5.4 and has 196K miles on it. She had some problems with the AC compressor at about 155K and now the rear airbags will not hold air. Other than that she has just changed the oil and put tires on it. I think it had about 15K miles on it when she bought it. Oh she also had to put in a new battery or 2 and I changed a headlight bulb for her once. Pretty good service IMO.

Oh good to see you hang out somewhere besides Hot Boat.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by guzman_marcos
About the doors, any way they can be align, when driving on highway I can hear the wind.

Marcos
You can roll the windows down, block the door with a short 2x4 below the bottom of the window opening and push against the top of the door to restore the curve of the door. It does not take much, just a couple of pushes should do it.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by dmontzsta
How is your 5.4? and how long do they last?

Mine has 124k on it and I bought it with 112k. So far it still runs like a brand new car. The only things that bother me are minor. The power mirrors did work when I bought the car. Now if I move them one way, they go two directions at once. ie: If I move them out right, they will go down and right at the same time.
Thats about it, I dont know much about the motor on these, I am more old school. What are the common problems with these?

Bought a 00 Sport XLT W/5.4 new in late 1999, just traded it in with 90K miles for a new Expy.
Never had any problems with the engine or drivetrain in general.
Starter bad at about 20K, warranty fix.

The only problems I had with it that finally made me get rid of it was steering.

both L&R upper and lower control arms/ball joints worn, both L&R Inner & Outer tie rod ends worn, pitman arm, idler arm and steering gearbox worn.

The problem of course was that their are no grease fittings on any of these parts(The new truck does not have them either)

The truck was uncontrollable on roads that had a decent crown to them, as long as it was strainght and flat it had no problems but any kind of crown, ridges or ruts and the truck would wander like a blind horse.

About $3K to have it fixed or around $1K buy the parts and DIY.

Loved the truck other than that!!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
2000 Xlt

I had ours since new(actually ordered it) 5.4L, 3.55 LS, XLT package(no leather-I don't care for it) I only have 74K and only had upper ball joints, tie rods, pitman, and idler arm to change out. Other than 1 brake job it runs strong. I plan on buying a new expy later this year(will be a Limitied - Wife's) and I will get it a daily driver and get rid of my old 90 towncar. We were tempted to check out Volvo XC90, but just can't pass up on the room.
Rob

Quick Reply: 5.4 Exp. Owners Please Share Your Experience.