Expedition / Navigator

Roof rack question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack question

I recently purchased a 2005 Expedition. It came with the lateral bars for the roof rack, the ones that run down the side came with the truck but the cross bars did not. What's up with that? How can they say it comes with a roof rack standard and then only install half of it. The dealer says that each cross bar comes with a $99 price tag. Has anyone found a cheaper one or know of a place that sells Ford factory parts cheaper?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM
kkirt,
I just dealt with the same diappointment last week. I have an 05 Expy Eddie Bauer that didn't have them. You'd think an Eddie Bauer would have it all. Anywho, it's a $40.00 option if you get it new, but they cost me $126.00 to order from Parts. Ford didn't even lube me up before they stuck that one in me!
Griz

Old 04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
kkirt,
That was $126.00 for both cross bars. Your dealer must be BS'ing you.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kkirt1
... How can they say it comes with a roof rack standard and then only install half of it....
kkirt1, you've been here a long time.

Remember the 2000 F150 radiator debacle?
Ford determined that the standard sized radiator 'was just as good' as the extra large that used to come with the towing package.
Trouble was they didn't change their brochure and it still mentioned super engine cooling as part of the package.

Well, used to be that a roof rack had four sides.
Ford determined that a two sided roof rackis just as good as the four sided and a damn sight cheaper.

They paid $100 cash over the radiator deal, as I recall.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Raoul,
When exactly did Ford "discover" that a 2 sided rack is just as good as a 4 sided one?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't follow Expedition/Navigator that closely.

It would have happened in the model year when the verbage changed from 'Roof Rack' which implies a rack or four sided object to 'roof rails' which implies what a choo-choo train runs on.

Ford calls the missing pieces 'Cross Bars'.
And they are only $34 on a loaded Navigator.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, it's definitely weird to me that they don't just put them on but I guess Ford has to save every penny they can these days.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. My wife actually called the dealer about the "rest of the roof rack" and got the $99 each price. I will call and see if I get the same "special" price.

Raoul: It has been awhile! I remember laughing at a lot of your posts. Sometimes laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes Hope things are well and you still have that, dare I say, quirky sense of humor.

Yea... the radiator thing. They did end up sending me the $100 instead of replacing the radiator. Maybe thats why they can't afford the complete roof rack

I just recently went to the dark side... read GMC... I bought a Sierra 2500 with the Durmax engine and Allison transmission. This truck is a horse. Tons of power! A very well built machine.

Take care and thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Roof rack question