Expedition / Navigator

service charge for TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service charge for TSB?

I called my dealer to request a TSB be performed on my Expedition and was told it would cost $80. Is this normal? I was under the impression that TSBs were performed w/ no charge to the customer.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are instructions for technicians to resolve verifiable problems. If you are not having a problem, then there is no reason to perform the actions outlined in the TSB. Furthermore, once your warranty has expired, you are not entitled to any "free" service because a TSB exists for any problems that may appear.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not wanting to have work done for just for the sake of doing work. I'm having the problem identified in the TSB. A TSB is a problem identified by the man****urer but doesn't warrant a full recall. The TSBs are then performed when the customer brings the vehicle in with that problem. My only experience with them in the past was when my vehicle was still under warranty but I was given the impression that that didn't matter.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by kc^2
Thanks for the reply. I'm not wanting to have work done for just for the sake of doing work. I'm having the problem identified in the TSB. A TSB is a problem identified by the man****urer but doesn't warrant a full recall. The TSBs are then performed when the customer brings the vehicle in with that problem. My only experience with them in the past was when my vehicle was still under warranty but I was given the impression that that didn't matter.

You still don't understand. A TSB is exactly what nomo said: They are technical instructions to technicians and dealerships on how to address problems that have been identified and require additional or updated technical information in order to resolve vehicle concerns.

They are in no way related to recalls which are usually done automatically and are free.

Each TSB, if you take the time to read them, usually contains specific warranty eligibility information. Once your manufacturer's warrany has expired, you will always be expected to pay for any service performed except recalls or in the occasional case of specific extended warranty which is usually communicated by an Owner Notification Program.

Steve

Old 07-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Furthermore, a lot of TSBs are SWAGs - throw it at the wall and see if it sticks. Not a lot of them work out as planned. They're mostly educated guesses with repairs and procedures streamlined to get the job done as quickly as possible.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Okey doke. I just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't trying to rip me off like they have in the past. Like I said I've only had one other experience with dealing with TSBs and that was at a different dealer with really good service. I can't stand the Ford dealer here. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: service charge for TSB?