Expedition / Navigator

disabling auto 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disabling auto 4wd

anyone know how to disable the auto 4wd so I can get it dyno'd at Troyer's dyno days?
Joe

Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 PM
You can just wire a switch to the fuse under the hood for the 4wd motor and clutch. Just be sure you use a fuse on the constant 12v side. I mounted mine on the center console close to the dash. Very easy to do.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Wow! that sounds way too easy. So the motor is not on? The clutch is not engaged? But the drive shaft still needs to spin. Is this the way you run your Expy? How long have you been doing it? Any better gas mileage?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I've been running it like this for about 3 weeks now. So far no ill effects or better gas mileage. I just didn't like the front wheel engaging in tight turns (parking lots) so I wired in a switch to the fuse location and terminated its action. I manage a car stereo shop and had the time, space, tools, and parts to do it. From the time I pulled it in the bay to the time it left was probably 15 minutes. If you need 4wd turn on the switch (I do it motionless to be safe), then turn the dial. Be sure to turn it to Awd and have it disengage the front axles before flipping the switch to avoid anything undesired. I'm not aware of what would happen (if anything, bad or not), but I would rather not find out either. Have a good day.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So in order to get on a dyno I guess I can just pull the fuse??? Have you been in a situation where you had the 4wd disabled but it would have engaged? ie back tires spining in mud?
Joe

Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 PM
No I haven't had an incident as you describe with the front wheels engaging. If the transfer case shift motor is "off" (fuse pulled or interrupt switch installed) it should never engage. Pulling the fuse should allow you to dyno without incident. You could try to get it in the air on a lift and pull the fuse and put it in drive to see if the front rotate, but I don't believe that test would be required. Have fun at the dyno. Glad I could be of assistance

Old 07-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Again, thanks for your reply,
I think I am going to do some testing. I will let you know if I find anything unexpected.
Joe

Old 07-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Not a problem, I'm just glad I could be of some help. Let us know if you had any undesireable effects. Knock on wood, I still haven't had any problems. Have a great day.

Quick Reply: disabling auto 4wd