Expedition / Navigator

2006 Limited Truck Height

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Limited Truck Height

So I have another question concerning my new limited. When I was looking at it on the lot it was noticably lower than both the XLT and Eddie Bauer it was parked next to. There is about a 2 inch gap between the fornt tire and body. I've also noticed alot of trucks on the road that have a lot more space (6-8 inches) between tire and body. My truck has air suspension, but I'm not sure that is the reason it has a lower sport look. Anyone know why?

Revan

Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 AM
The air suspension will rise and lower when turning the Expy on/off. I think the theory is to make it easier to get in and out of. It will also raise up further when engaging 4WD.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I read something about that on the website, I've started the truck with one foot on the pavement and shifted it from park to drive, but I didn't notice it rising up. I've done the same thing but engaging AWD and 4WD and didn't notice the truck height change. I'll have to check to see if air is turned on!

Is it noticable in your truck?

Revan

Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I can tell it is rising right after I start it up. You can hear the compressor running, and if you watch the hood against some type of background, you can see it raising. I don't think it comes up very much. Couple of inches? Maybe? Also, after you take off down the road the compressor will sometimes cut on to re-level itself. I've never tried to put a ruler next to it to see exactly how much it raises. That may be an interesting project to try this weekend.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks - I would say by your description that mine is definitely not on or not working, since I would have felt it rise when my foot is on the ground. I have to check this out.

EDIT - I just read up in the manual that the truck doesn't rise unless the door is shut - so my "method" wouldn't work

Revan

Last edited by revan; 07-28-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right. When we were shopping for our Expy it was very easy for me to spot the ones with air ride. I would guess they sit about an 1 1/2 or 2 inches lower than mine.

Quick Reply: 2006 Limited Truck Height