Expedition / Navigator

Got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear ended

Well my luck has finally run out. After 24 years with no accidents and driving all over the east and gulf coast. CRASHHHhh I get hit from behind. On the way home from work at a normal slow down during rush hour. Traffic was slowing down and then came to a sudden stop. Well almost, when I looked in my rearview mirror the guy behind me was not slowing down. So I let off the brake alittle to try to move up some to give the guy more room. He still aint slowing down. Finally I had to hit my brakes and hold and hope he does not push me into the 05 Expy that was in front of me. I am guessing he hit me going between 30 and 40. He hit me sqaure. Fortunately just as he hits me the person in front of me started moving so there was no impact there. I had my hitch in my receiver and beleive this is why the damage was not worse than it was or atleast appears. I know that the front of his hood hit my handle on the lift gate and dented that in. My trailer hitch is now concave instead of bowing slightly outward, the center bumper is pushed all the way against the body, outside edges of bumper are pushed up and in about an inch and the gap between the lift gate and the driver side quarter panel is about 1/8" larger than it was before. I dont know if it is possible for the hitch to beable to spread the frame apart or not but i know the lift gate is no impacted enough to change the gap. And I end up with a sprained neck and light duty for 2 weeks.

Now for his truck. F150 around a 97 model. My hitch split his bumper in two. His front end was almost flat from one side to the other and from the hood to bumper except his bumper was in a V shape. I am surprised his air bag did not deploy. My hitch did not puncter any of his coolers or radiator and we were both able to drive away.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear that you came away relatively unhurt. Take care of yourself though. The next few days will bring more pain and soreness.

The scenario of your accident sounds exactly the same as one we had in our '97 Expy. Luckily (for us), the person that hit us was driving an older mid-sized car instead of a truck though. Still, it's amazing how tough the older models are. I think a similar accident in the new '03+ models would be much more destructive.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, that sux!

Quick Reply: Got rear ended