Expedition / Navigator

2 Broken Shocks in One Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Broken Shocks in One Year

Hi all, I had my shocks replaced last year due to my ride just getting worse and worse. I own a 01 Expedition 4.6, 2 wheel drive Eddie B. The sign I noticed I needed new shocks was when I drove over a speed bump and I felt and heard a grinding when the front wheels rolled over. Took it in and they showed me my shocks. They were definately done.

About 3 months later I noticed something coming from the front end and the suspension just felt weird. I took it to a different mechanic as I was out of the state. They found a broken driver side shock. The shock was a Sensatrack (not that it matters). They replaced them with the cheaper yellow Monroe shocks.

Now I am having issues again. I felt a resistance through the steering wheel. It seemed to ge worse so I took it in again. Nothing was found wrong. Next day it felt like it was getting worse. Took it back and then they found that the front drivers side shock was broke. They showed me the shock and sure enough broke. Replaced with Sensatracks again. I told them about how this happened before and they said they looked everything over and everything was good.

Now I am an Engineer on the Apache helicopter and I know that shocks just dont brake. I dont off road. I havent ran into anything or hit any curbs. I bought the truck used a year ago and think the previous owner bent something up front there. Maybe so slight that it eventually wears on the shock to a point wear it just breaks. So slight that these guys are not finding anything. I am currently living away from my home and have an apartment so I dont have the opportunity to look at it myself like I would if I was at my home.

Shocks were replaced but the feeling was still there. I feel a resistance through the steering wheel at all times. It doesnt come and go with different speeds. Seems to be there at all speeds. Sometimes it gets worse when you turn the wheel. Sometimes it gets worse just driving straight. And I swear I can feel it through the gas pedal too. So I am not sure if its a front suspension issue, wheel bearings, transmission, gears, power steering.

And to add to this story. I bought new rotors and pads to install at my home. Got sent up here to Baltimore and didnt get the opportunity to install them. Took it to Pep Boys to install my brake parts and when I left the passenger side pad was clamped down on the rotor. I immediately turned around and drove it back. They fixed it (gee thanks) and on my way again. About a month later I was driving and noticed a stange feeling coming from the front end. As I was driving the driver side brake caliper was coming off. The bolts worked themselves loose and I luckily got it into a shop before something serious happened. They replaced the bolts and it was good as new. This is a story of if you want something right do it yourself. But it kind of feels like a pad is sticking to the rotor.

Any ideas, suggestions? I read about how bad the joints are on these trucks and wonder if maybe the ball joints/tie rods need replacing. I have fluid in the power steering. But I know that is suspect. Its not hard to turn the truck though. Its so slight that the mechanic cannot find it but its noticed by me. You own a truck for so long and you can feel when its sick.

Since I am currently at an apartment tearing into it is out of the question for me and I have to rely on these shops to work/inspect it. I much rather just replace all of the joints up front as it has 95,000 miles on it now.

Sorry so long. Just thought the details were important.

Last edited by chefjohnny5; 08-14-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSBs

I also noticed TSBs for the driveshaft pinion angle (?? not sure if that was it exactly) and some other suspension components. How does those TSBs work? Is that something they fix (at their discretion) if a customer has an issue related to the TSB. I know not all TSBs are for replacing parts, etc.

Quick Reply: 2 Broken Shocks in One Year