Expedition / Navigator

BLEND DOOR How do I know for sure???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLEND DOOR How do I know for sure???

I have had the problem for a year now and need to get this thing fixed. I have the problem where I had to jam the gas to get the A/C back on in the summer. If I take off to quick it goes off on occasion.

With all that, the heat doest work at all out of any vents. Not even the defrost ones on the dash. Nothing. I am pretty sure it is the door but wanted to make sure.

Also, Is there a decent set of instructions anywhere??

I have a 1998 EB 2wheel drive.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRay
I have had the problem for a year now and need to get this thing fixed. I have the problem where I had to jam the gas to get the A/C back on in the summer. If I take off to quick it goes off on occasion.

With all that, the heat doest work at all out of any vents. Not even the defrost ones on the dash. Nothing. I am pretty sure it is the door but wanted to make sure.

Also, Is there a decent set of instructions anywhere??

I have a 1998 EB 2wheel drive.

Thanks guys.
It stops blowing, or stops blowing cold? If it stops blowing, but the blower motor is still blowing, you probably have a vacuum leak. If the blower stops, it's electrical. If it still blows OK but stops blowing cold, you need some more R134A because you are tripping the pressure switch which shuts down the compressor in case the system vents (and looses its oil charge). During WOT, however, it's normal for your A/C to stop blowing cold until you take your foot off it.

The heat issue could definitely be involved/related to the AC problem (if it's a vacuum issue), and that would/could keep the vacuum powered actuator from swinging the door open. There's also some exposed circuitry inside that area that starts to close the door to protect the system if temps go too high. If that fails, the door won't open.

You can see the BA door if you pull the panel that covers it off (under the dash). Put your eyes on it. Does it move like it should? When it should open, if you take the vacuum hose off the actuator, can you feel the vacuum pulse when you press the hose against your finger? It could also be the dash controls too.

How does it run? Is it idling rough, or missing, anything that might indicate a vacuum leak? If you connect a vacuum gauge to the PCV hose or the brake booster hose, what does it read?

Sorry, lots of questions, but hopefully find answers to some.

I have often found that when it comes to climate control, the dealer or an automotive AC shop is the best bet. You can pull your hair out for a month farting with one of those damned elusive problems. Not to mention that the up-front AC service fee is usually about the same as a cheap AC manifold w/gauges.

Quick Reply: BLEND DOOR How do I know for sure???