Expedition / Navigator

Need more MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theres no such thing as an "economical" v-8 buy a Honda, I have a 4.6 liter in my f150 and get the about the same... and its 1500-2000lbs lighter

Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I dont think this helps much but I have an 03 350 with the V10 and Im getting 12mpg on average and not a mile more. But I have 2wd and I drive like a 90 year old woman...literally! I practically idle off street lights and let off and coast a lot. My truck never sees more than 2100 rpm's and it sucks still. I will always say its the foot that has the problem...or bad o2's.

Buying a tuner, having it tuned, and updating all the maintenance stuff that can effect mpg would be more than 2 years gas that you could save. Its a 5.4, its going to eat gas unless you drive the speed limit and never hit the gas. If it makes you feel any better Im looking to trade down to an Expy to get away from the V10.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by 2000Expedition
Heres way to pick up 1.5 to 2 MPG'S on highway....

1) Draft Busses or Tractor Trailers on highways.. Staying 5 Car lengths behind and you will feel like a NASCAR driver... The bigger vehicles help you cut through the wind like a Civic!

2) How to measure... do the Speed and hit the reset on the MPG meter if you have one... it will give you an instant reading, then get behind bus or truck and hit it again...

I Firgure my NASCAR tailgating plan could bankrupt the oil companies... but tripple the collision and towing biz LOL...

Seriously... try it... really enlightening how much of the bad MPG issue is aerodynamics!https://www.f150online.com/forums/im...ies/banana.gif

LOL I do that too. Draft a fast moving semi or bus or even a F350 or Equal size truck of brand X. Helps alot for me!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by TurboPants
I dont think this helps much but I have an 03 350 with the V10 and Im getting 12mpg on average and not a mile more. But I have 2wd and I drive like a 90 year old woman...literally! I practically idle off street lights and let off and coast a lot. My truck never sees more than 2100 rpm's and it sucks still. I will always say its the foot that has the problem...or bad o2's.

Buying a tuner, having it tuned, and updating all the maintenance stuff that can effect mpg would be more than 2 years gas that you could save. Its a 5.4, its going to eat gas unless you drive the speed limit and never hit the gas. If it makes you feel any better Im looking to trade down to an Expy to get away from the V10.
I have an 04' Expy 5.4L, and trust me, you won't be getting much better than 12 mpg mixed driving. I currently get 13.5 mpg mixed, and I'm easy on the gas.

Now if you are talking about the new 07' models, with the 6-speed automatics, I hear they are getting 15 mpg.

Quick Reply: Need more MPG's