Expedition / Navigator

Failed LLS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed LLS

Well it looks like the Load Leveling System on my 01 EB Expedition has failed, again. I did a search on the topic and found some good info but not exactly what I was looking for. Here goes.
The rear suspension sagged while driving home. The air compressor is not turning on so this is what I did.
-Checked the on/off switch near the passenger foot area and it was on.
-Checked the fuse and it was good.
-Checked the solenoid near the front bumper by running a bypass, pigtail, across the two electrical connectors which resulted in nothing. The compressor did not come one.
-Ran a voltmeter across the connector plug that hooks into the compressor. There is a total of four wires; red, black, white, and blue. The red and black go directly to the compressor. No power is coming across the red but it is across the blue wire which goes to the top of the compressor piston housing.
-I pulled the compressor and bench tested it. Nothing.
-Took the compressor apart and it looked a little burned and smelled like smoke.

Summary and Analysis: I am assuming that the compressor is bad since it appears to be burned and the bench test was negative. I am also wondering why the connector plug was not getting power to the compressor. I'm going to start by installing a new compressor. This will eliminate one potential failure.

Your opinions and suggestions are more than welcome. Does anyone know where to get the LLS compressor cheap? Ford Parts Online isn't much help; that's another story. Thanks.

PS. For those of you who are going to purchase an Expy and have the option of LLS, I recommend you think twice about it. I know it's good for towing and some owners like it but, if you don't tow and use the vehicle for a kid hauler, like me, then you may not want the LLS option. This system has broken about four times since I owned it and it's expensive to fix. I'm not bashing anyone who has or gets LLS but I think it is an option some owners can do without. Thanks again.

Last edited by Shorty; 11-29-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I found a remanufactured LLS air compressor for $180 shipped with core charge. The Ford Dealer wanted $475 so I looked further and found the cheaper price. The link follows

http://www.suspension-alternatives.c...n-System.html#

Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
UPDATE: I installed the LLS Air Pump and it still didn't turn on. At least that point of failure is solved. I went to look at the rear end and couldn't get underneath because the rear had dropped too much. I lifted it up with a floor jack and the compressor came on. This narrows it down to most likely the sensor in the rear. I didn't have time to keep working on the truck so I had to close shop for the night. Once I get more daylight I will get back underneath and check the sensor. More to follow probably this weekend.

It's cold here in Michigan so I have limited time to work on the truck. I do have a garage but my 74 Corvette is in there staying warm. Next house I buy I'm gonna get a three car garage. Thought I'd mention this for anyone looking to buy a house and who likes to work on cars.

Last edited by Shorty; 12-08-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 PM
update: I came outside this morning and the truck looked like it was at normal height. The vehicle drives the same as it used to. I guess lifting up the rear end triggered the LLS to work when I wasn't around. Either that or Gremlins. Oh well, it's good now.

Quick Reply: Failed LLS