Expedition / Navigator

noise when steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise when steering

I have a problem with my 1998 Expedition. When the vehicle is idleing there is a high pitch sound which increases and decreases with engine speed. When I steer the pump makes a noise also. I check the fluid and it is to the top, when the vehicle is running I looked at the resorvoir and it looks like the fluid has bubbles in it for some reason. Are there any filters on the power steering or is my pump gone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Warren

Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Warren, Have you had any work done on the power steering system or suspension? How does the fluid smell? burned? Are you leaking fluid? I would get a stethescope and confirm that it is the pump that is making the sound. If you don't have a stethescope then a long piece of metal, like a long screw driver or extension, will work. If you recently had work done then you might have an air bubble in it. If not and it is the pump making the noise then I would assume the pump is going out.
Random thoughts. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I haven't had any work done to it. I don't see any leaks. I will check on the confirmation about the pump. What are the 2 hoses that come from underneath, are they for the remote oil filter? There seems to be a small leak there, the hoses are about 1" in diameter each.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Also, is the power steering pump on the bottom right when looking at the bumper?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
The two hoses at the bottom of the pumping go to the steering actuator or steering gear box. I can't remember the proper nomenclature but it actuates the pitman arm which turns your drag link and steering arm. There is no remote filter, just a pump with reservoir and steering gear box. The power steering pump is at the bottom right as you look at the bumper.

Quick Reply: noise when steering