Expedition / Navigator

Expedition with DVD and Factory Moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition with DVD and Factory Moonroof

If someone has this option Expedition - could you help a fella out and look into the retracted Moonroof and tell me how the DVD player is braced below the moonroof?

I am about to do an install and I would like some ideas .... thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by thompsdw
If someone has this option Expedition - could you help a fella out and look into the retracted Moonroof and tell me how the DVD player is braced below the moonroof?

I am about to do an install and I would like some ideas .... thanks in advance.
What year? We have an '04 with that combination.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Mine is an '04 as well. I have the rear air system as well (complicates space above). Anything you and help with is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by thompsdw
Mine is an '04 as well. I have the rear air system as well (complicates space above). Anything you and help with is greatly appreciated.
I'll have a peek tonight when I get home and see if I can spot anything. We have rear air also. Are you putting in an OEM system?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
No, I went with an aftermarket player. The Panasonic I purchased suggests bracing to the roof steel in the vehicle. That is what I am trying to determine how to do below the moonroof. When you look there are two metal braces below the moonroof. One at the front of the air duct and one right by the moonroof opening. I am guessing that Ford either hangs their unit from the headliner or attaches somehow to those metal braces.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I had a look last night (in the dark, mind you), but I couldn't see how it was attached, or even how the cover on the OEM DVD system comes off.
I was able to push the headliner in independantly from the DVD player in a few spots, so I'm guessing they drilled through the headliner and into the metal braces. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they mounted the unit to both the metal braces that you speak off, the unit has a fairly large footprint between the airduct and the front of the roof opening. I'll have another look during daylight hours today or tomorrow, and can take some pictures if you like.

Last edited by ferroequine; 01-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Yep, I would love some pictures. I would appreciate any help you can give on how they actually connected the unit into the supports. Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry that I didn't get any pictures for you yet. I was sick all weekend . I'll see if my wife can take some daylight pictures in the next few days, if not then I'll try again this weekend.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Here are some pictures that I took. I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off without breaking it.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 AM

If you want, I can try opening the roof completely and see if I can peek the camera through the crack. Unless someone knows how the cover comes off.

Quick Reply: Expedition with DVD and Factory Moonroof