Expedition / Navigator

Expedition: What exactly is included in a Trailer Tow Option besides the Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Expedition: What exactly is included in a Trailer Tow Option besides the Hitch?

For Expeditions without the Tow package, can you just add the hitch and a heavy duty transmission cooler?

Is there other parts that are needed or recommended?

Thanks ahead.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Not sure if you're talking about the 07's or not but in case you are, the trailer tow package includes the following:

- Class IV hitch receiver
- 4/7 pin connectors and wiring harness
- Heavy duty transmission cooler
- Heavy duty radiator
- Electronic brake wiring kit

Kind of worth the $400 IMHO so you don't have to worry about doing this after the fact. I guess it all depends on how much you plan to tow and whether or not you need the hook-up for electric brakes.

If you're not going to be maxing out the tow capacity, then you might be able to get away with the receiver and a tranny cooler. It was a must-have for me because my wife has to tow her horses to different locations from time to time. All loaded up, I expect the trailer to come in at ~6,000 lbs and this was justification for me to opt in on the trailer tow package. When I cross shopped a Nissan Armada - it had a tow capacity of 6,000 pounds without the tow package and 9,000 with the tow package (this also included a different gear ratio in the rear end if I recall correctly).

Good luck,

Dave

Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Question

Dave,

Thanks for your response.

I was actually referring to an older Expedition, like 2002 and older.
I forget to mention it the the original post.

Does your information still apply to an older Expedition?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
My '97 had the tow package as well. From the best that I can remember it included everything I listed for the '07. The only exception might be the HD radiator - it's simply too far back for me to remember the exact details.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm this for you. How much are you planning to tow?

Dave

Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Dave N
My '97 had the tow package as well. From the best that I can remember it included everything I listed for the '07. The only exception might be the HD radiator - it's simply too far back for me to remember the exact details.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm this for you. How much are you planning to tow?

Dave

Dave,

My situation is that I'm ready to purchase an Expedition or Navigator and found a Expedition that does not look to have a towing package.

Right now, I don't have a need to tow however I wanted that option.

If it's only a hitch, heavy duty radiator and heavy duty tranz cooler, than that would make it easy to have that option.

Comparing an Expedition with towing package verse an Expedition without,
I wonder if there are any other differences in the trucks?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I have a 97, and I believe Dave's list is correct, except I don't have an electronic brake wiring kit.

I'd also add the words "inadequate" when referring to the factory tranny cooler. I added an additional cooler to mine, many other guys have done this as well.

Oh and my truck also came with a 3.31 rear-axle, which makes absolutely no sense on a vehicle designed to tow. A swap to 4.10s made a huge difference.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
I have a 97, and I believe Dave's list is correct, except I don't have an electronic brake wiring kit.

I'd also add the words "inadequate" when referring to the factory tranny cooler. I added an additional cooler to mine, many other guys have done this as well.

Oh and my truck also came with a 3.31 rear-axle, which makes absolutely no sense on a vehicle designed to tow. A swap to 4.10s made a huge difference.

Can you add an electronic brake wiring kit to an Expedition that doesn't have the tow option?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Also with the towing package, all non FX4 trucks get upgraded to the same shocks as an FX4 (I think).

What transmission cooler upgrades have you done? I don't do any heavy duty towing, but upgraded transmission cooling is better for anyone

Old 01-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
Also with the towing package, all non FX4 trucks get upgraded to the same shocks as an FX4 (I think).

What transmission cooler upgrades have you done? I don't do any heavy duty towing, but upgraded transmission cooling is better for anyone
I don't have the Expedition yet, I'm basically doing research before I buy one.
I want to make sure that I can add all the parts necessary to a
"non-tow option" expedition.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:15 PM
If you don't plan on towing at all I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if you find a non towing package equiped Expy that you absolutely love. On the other hand, what is the point of having a huge V8 suv if you are never going to tow?

Old 01-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
If you don't plan on towing at all I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if you find a non towing package equiped Expy that you absolutely love. On the other hand, what is the point of having a huge V8 suv if you are never going to tow?
I'm sure that I will be towing.

My main concern is making sure that a non tow equipped Expedition can be converted into a tow equipped Expedition.'

Also, many people utilize a larger SUV for transporting equipment and hauling stuff, not just for only towing.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by OVER_KILL
I'm sure that I will be towing.

My main concern is making sure that a non tow equipped Expedition can be converted into a tow equipped Expedition.'

Also, many people utilize a larger SUV for transporting equipment and hauling stuff, not just for only towing.
In that case I would go ahead and get the towing package up front rather than add it on later. But then again, I don't trust any of my local shops to put anything on correctly. Seriously, I think it would be a worthwhile investment up front.

Besides, your name is overkill right? So stay true to your name and get more than you need!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 PM
The super cooling (upgaded) radiator was deleted from the towing package in the 2001 model year( but listed on the window sticker as part of the package). They said the v-6 radiator was suffecient for the 5.4 v-8 towing package. This caused a big stink if you look back in the archives from that time period. Ford finally settled with us after a while.

My f150 super crew would boil over climbing a small hill on the way to the lake with my wave runner. I had temp guages that i would monitor, and would notice that when my coolant started to get very hot, the trans would quickly follow. This was due to the OIL to Water Trans cooler that is part of the radiator. My radiator was actually super heating my trans.

If my mind serves me right, the factory radiator core is a single about 1/2 inch and the supercooling one is a dual core at about 2 inches wide total. You cannot judge the size of the core by the outside viewable edges of the supports. You must pull back the cover on top of the radiator to view thickness.

The factory wire harness is part of the trucks wireing package. Worst case you might have to by the adaptor plugs from an auto parts store. Tractor Supply has alot of this in stock. The have the brake controller adaptor for under the dash, and they have the 7way connector adaptor for the rear of the truck.

Quick Reply: Expedition: What exactly is included in a Trailer Tow Option besides the Hitch?