Expedition / Navigator

Rear Diff Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff Leak

Hey there. I was wondering if this is a common Problem or just a great one for me..

Also..any techs out there have a ball park for fixing? Is it just a gasket job i can do?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, its pretty simple. It sounds like the gasket is leaking. Just take all the bolts off, starting with the bottom and working your way to the top. Leave a couple on the top a little loose, then use a screw driver and pop off the bottom of the cover. Be careful, it has lots of fluid in there. Once it all drains then take out the bolts in the top. As far as putting it back together, just make sure that you clean all the old gasket off. I'm not sure about how much fluid to use, or the torque specs for the bolts. Maybe someone on here can tell you more about that. God Bless!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VERY COMMON, on every ford truck. Make sure your axle seals are not leaking as well. The fluid you will use s 75W140. From Ford it will cost approx $17 a qaurt, you will also need to add a Friction Modifier to the fluid.

you will need roughly 2.9 - 3.1 L.

Last edited by Camarothatcould; 02-08-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 PM
How will I tell the difference from the gasket to the axle seals as far as leaks go?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Suspended
If its the axle seals, you wll see a gunk build up on your debris shield(behind the rotor). If its the pumpkin, it should have a gunky building up on the bottom of the cover. Still, take a look on the underside of the axle tubes to make sure it has not seeped from the axle ends to the Diff to make it look like its the diff cover.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Yea, My 98 Exp has a bad Rear Diff Leak, I was estimated that it should cost $125-250 from the shop, but it seems like an eazy fix, So I'll try it my self. But I heard it makes and bad mess and it stinks like bad dodo

Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Suspended
It is not hard. When I first started working at Ford, a tech helped me pin point problems on my truck. The leaky axle seal was the first thing I HAD to do. To fix your axle seal...

1. Remove Diff cover
2. Remove tire
3. Remove brake assembly
4. spin the wheel til you see a pin that is held in by a tiny bolt
5. Unbolt that pin, it should lside out
6. Push axle into the diff assembly. you should then see a "C" clip that you have to pull out, most likely with needle nose.
7. Pull axle out
8. Remove old seal
9. Install new seal

The seal is about $4. It is very important that after you remove the axle, DO NOT spin the wheels, the spider gearing is possible to fall out.

Pop the new seal in, slide the axle back in, place "C" clip bakc in place, pull axle out, install pin, then bolt it back in. Make sure you are wearing some latex gloves to avoid the diff fluid from soaking into your skin, you will stink for days. If you have never smelled diff fluid before, well it is just horrible, so protect your skin and if you spill any, clean it up quick.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah...im good at the hubs and on the wheel side.

Ill get the gasket and change it. Its only 14 degrees here so Ill check it and do it in the spring.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Leak