Expedition / Navigator

Fuse 2 Keeps Blowing 2003 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse 2 Keeps Blowing 2003 Expy

Okay....wife's car has me stumped! very cold out 20F.

Fuse #2 keeps blowing, only when you push on the brake pedal.

Put new 20amp fuse in and directionals work, hazzards work...but once you push on brake.....fuse blows.

I unhooked the 3rd tail light and that didn't help. I took out both rear lights and the bulbs looked fine along with connections.

I unhooked a connector that mounts on the brake (under dash) and the fuse will not blow, however the lights don't come on.

Any ideas for a Newbie to Fords?

this is a 2003 expy 4x4 xlt 58K 5.4l.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 AM
Sounds like a soleniod thats connected to the back of the brake relay switch. There is a sensor underneath your dash that tells your lights to come on when you hit the brakes. It sounds like thats bad. Dont quote me on that though.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I think you are right!

I took the switch that sits on the brake pedal off. I opened it up and exposed about 3 contact points. One of the contacts looked to have been shorting out because it was charred. I took out the metal contacts and cleaned them up and refastned this switch to the brake pedal and the problem seems to have gone away.

anyone know what this switch is for? i think this switch has something to do with locking the shifting lever!!?? what's it called so i can get a new one?

Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Usually those things dont go bad, but I guess sometimes they do. Im not sure what it is called but I know it does a couple of things, like you said it does let you start using your shift lever and it tells your brake lights to turn on when you brakes. Most like you can find one at a junk yard. Like I said, those usually dont wear out.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Usually those things dont go bad, but I guess sometimes they do. Im not sure what it is called but I know it does a couple of things, like you said it does let you start using your shift lever and it tells your brake lights to turn on when you use your brakes. Most likey you can find one at a junk yard. Like I said, those usually dont wear out.

Quick Reply: Fuse 2 Keeps Blowing 2003 Expy