Expedition / Navigator

Is The Diesel Rumor Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is The Diesel Rumor Dead?

I was wondering if anyone knew if Ford was going to get smart and offer a diesel option for the Expeditions? I read a couple of articles about them thinking of making it an option when they update the F150's, but I've read nothing about it lately. Have you guys heard anything?

-Funkster-

Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't think we'll see a diesel F150 or a complete new truck design before the 2009 model year. When you start looking at when and where some of the money is allocated for the new F150, it tells me we won't see a huge change before 2009.

In regards to the 2009 F150, the Livonia Transmission Plant recently received $88 million for tooling for the new 6 speed tranny. The Woodhaven Stamping Plant received $89 million for tooling. The Dearborn Stamping Plant received $31 million for tooling to stamp doors and hoods. The Dearborn Truck Plant received $208 million for additional tooling and equipment to build the truck and to convert Ford's historic Glass Plant on the Rouge site into a training center for the launch of the all new 2009 F150.

I really hope Ford does come out with a diesel F150, but it's been speculated for a number of years and its still not here. I read where Ford was thinking about using the diesel engine from the Land Rover, but I've also read talk about them considering the sale of Land Rover and other assets because of the bind they're in. Ford just lost $12.7 billion dollars for the year and $5.8 billion of this was lost in the 4 quarter. Heavy losses are expected to continue for a little while longer, but there's light at the end of the tunnel with plans to return to profitability sometime in 2009 if things go as Ford has hoped. If Ford's "Way Forward" plan does not pan out like they're planning, then things will get more than interesting.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah that would nice to see something like the landrovers 25 mpg

Quick Reply: Is The Diesel Rumor Dead?