Expedition / Navigator

Dirty Xenarcs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty Xenarcs

Greetings,

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement headlamp housings for my Y2K Expy. Can someone assist?

I've had a Sylvania Xenarc HD 2010 kit for 3 years - it's one of my all-time favorite purchases. Unfortunately, a smoky residue has begun to appear and grow darker on the inside of the lens on both modules. Light output is slowly diminishing over time, especially on the passenger side, and in daylight, the clear look of the lens is a distant memory. Has anyone else seen this? Can it be cleaned somehow?

Sylvania stopped making this kit about 2 years ago. Replacement parts are no longer available. I suppose I could find another complete kit, somewhere, but times are tighter now and I can't sink another half a large into headlights.

Fortunately, Sylvania says that they're going to refund my purchase in its entirety, because I notified them of the problem before the 3-year warranty ran out. That's stellar!

So...any recommendations for something that will shine brighter than the OEM housings without making my truck look like a teenager's cruiser?

Best regards,

Tim ==

Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
most people suggest the clear Depo brand of lights.

Hey, if you are no longer using/want the Xenarcs(which ever part to it that you don't want [ballast, bulbs, headlgihts]) , I'd take them, broken, dim, etc. I'll put them to good use.

Thanks.
Bunthy

Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got Xenarcs myself, but no issues with fogging on teh inside so far. I bought them second-hand about three years ago, and they were 2 years old then. They get a little foggy on the outside, but that's mainly baked-on soap scum or road grime and wipes off with a paper towel and some washer fluid.

Major bummer on that though... they are, by far, the bast light for our trucks!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Good to hear your getting a refund. I'd have to say either search for used ones or go back to the stock headlamp assembly.

The problem you encountered is one of the quality issues that they had with these. The combination of the Xenarc kits not being all that popular and some real quality issues are why Sylvania pulled the plug on it's future. I used to work for Sylvania and remember the quality complaints that were flowing in.

Nothing on ebay right now, but you might find a set eventually.

Quick Reply: Dirty Xenarcs