Expedition / Navigator

97 Expedition has code P0446

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 97 Expedition has code P0446

My vehicle is acting up, I took it to Good Year and the guy gave me the code P0446. He said to check the spark plugs and coils. After research on the net I come to realize that may not be the problem. ....I know a little about vehicles but not enough. .The code has to do with the Evaporatuve Emissions Control System (EVAP). I called the Ford comapny and talked to a guy about the code, he said that the (EVAP) would not affect the way the truck drives. Now I am totally confused? He said the code has something to do with the EVAP but I have another problem soewhere else. It drives rough, it kinda bogs down when you are trying to pass someone and now it has started looping or surging when stopped at a light. Can someone tell me in lamens terms how to fix this? Thank you for your time. c2000_aj@yahoo.com

Old 03-15-2007, 03:55 PM
P0446 - EVAP Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

These are sometimes real PITA codes. It could be as simple as a need to replace the gas cap or as much as a PITA to replace a vent line from the gas tank. I would first check around the EVAP canister for any broken or loose lines, or possibly a crack in the canister. Then move to a gas cap (~$5 from dealer). If it’s none of those, then you need to look deeper and might want to take it in at that point.

I do agree that code will not give you any drivability issues. You have another problem. Possibly a clogged fuel filter, bad COP, misfire (that is not being detected), etc.

What year model, what is the maintenance been like, how many miles, etc.???

Old 03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
It's a 97 expedition with 168k miles. I checked the lines coming from the canister and one looks bad. I will have to replace it. It is a regular looking black hise cinnected to a metal line. Where is the fuel filter and how can I check to see if it is clogged. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by c2000aj
It's a 97 expedition with 168k miles. I checked the lines coming from the canister and one looks bad. I will have to replace it. It is a regular looking black hise cinnected to a metal line. Where is the fuel filter and how can I check to see if it is clogged. Thanks for the help.

Ok then. Have you had this since new? If so, have you performed regular maintenance on it (plugs, etc.).

If not, you might want to look into changing the plugs and looking at the coil packs and the wires (the 97 and 98 do not have COPs, so disregard my previous statement).

Along with this maintenance, I would replace the fuel filter also (you should replace them every 15-20k or so, unless you have bad gas stations around).

Fuel Filter is mounted to inside of the frame rail under the truck between the front and rear door (follow the "B" pillar straight down) on the Drivers Side (May be the passenger, it’s been a long while since I changed mine). You will need a "special" tool to remove the fuel lines from it. BTW, you have to replace it; there is no "cleaning it" or reusing it. They are normally around $10-15 from the parts store. Get a good one like Wix or FMC, do not cheap out and get a FRAM as you might have to replace it more often.

You can run a search around here on replacing the fuel filter, but the general jest is; Position the truck so you can work under it (either on the ground, jacks, or ramps, whatever floats your boat and easy for you).

If you have time, let it set for a couple of hours before starting the work (this allows the system to depressurize). If not, then locate the Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail and release the fuel pressure (again, its best to do this after the truck has sat and cooled off, do not do this when the engine is hot).

Locate the fuel filter and remove the retention clips attached to the fuel filter than fuel line (these are secured to the fuel line and are removed from the filter, they just “pop” off and hang from the fuel line once removed). Now, slip you “special” tool (that sounds bad…..) over the fuel filter nipple and push it between the fuel line and fuel filter (this tool releases little retention springs that secure the fuel lines to the filter nipples). Once you have it between the two, slip the fuel line off. (Note: If the lines does not come off or move easily (some force might be required) then try to push the tool further between them. Also note, that once you remove the line, fuel will come out of both the line and the fuel filter.) Repeat on the other side.

Now, before you remove the filter, note the orientation of it (flow is directional) and make sure you put the new once on back in the same orientation.

To reconnect the fuel lines, just slip them on until the “click”, then put the secondary retention clip back on. Some fuel filters have secondary retention clips in the box with them, just trash those.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Soooo....

Jack it up....
special tool....
Filter nipples....
safe positioning...
Force/pressure....
orientation.....
the box.....

Very good advice...again. Where do you get the tool? I have one but it is not special.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by MPBTim
Soooo....

Very good advice...again. Where do you get the tool? I have one but it is not special.
You can get it from Autozone or any of the Parts stores. I would spring the few extra bucks and get the aluminum one, but they also sell a plastic one (actually its a kit with various sizes, as these same type of fittings are used on other parts, just a different size) its just harder to use than the aluminum one (the Al one had a better area to get a grip on it to wedge it between the nipple and the fuel line).

Actually here is a pic of the "good" tool and a good pic of the proper orientation on the tool to remove the fuel lines. The tool is the horizontal thing. (Notice the tool has an extension that you have to slip between the fuel line and the filter nipple).

Old 03-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Hello

Ok, I went and bought Spark plugs, what a pain. Someone really needs to say something to the Ford Company about the room ubder the hood. I pulled the first two on the passengers side. The first one - in the coil wire - I pulled it and looked at it from the side that touches the spark plug and it was a metal piece. I accidentally pulled it apart and then was the spring. I put it back the way it came apart. The second one I looked at from the side that touches the spark plug and there was no metal piec just spring. Is it suppose to be like this or am I missing something?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks

I just wanted to tell everyone that has help thank you for your time and information, it has been very helpfull.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by c2000aj
Ok, I went and bought Spark plugs, what a pain. Someone really needs to say something to the Ford Company about the room ubder the hood. I pulled the first two on the passengers side. The first one - in the coil wire - I pulled it and looked at it from the side that touches the spark plug and it was a metal piece. I accidentally pulled it apart and then was the spring. I put it back the way it came apart. The second one I looked at from the side that touches the spark plug and there was no metal piec just spring. Is it suppose to be like this or am I missing something?
Your talking about the coil spring inside the boot? I have seen some with that peice you are talking about and some without it. Did you pull a plug? How did it look?

Did you ever get the code to go away? Was it the broken line at the canister?

Quick Reply: 97 Expedition has code P0446