Expedition / Navigator

Powerstroke swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
won't fit, eh... Guess I'm not keeping this thing for long after school is done. I'm done with this gasoline bull****

Duramax now I guess... Silverado
All that extra money you're spending to dump / convert the Expy buys a lot of gas.... (especially when you only add up the cost difference between gas and diesel).

Try paying $4.30 a gallon for gas up here... Glad i've got my little 1.6L speedster to drive to work.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, stuffing a 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L or whatever you want into an expedition is most DEFINETLY possible, it just depends on how deep your pockets are. If you want to put a 7.3L into your expy I might have a lead on a good donor engine for ya

If you wanted to drop a 7.3L in you'll probably have to do some firewall modification, as well as get creative with the radiator setup. I think an intercooler would be out due to space. You'd have to beef up the suspension quite a bit to hold that weight (they're 900lbs) plus the rest of the driveline would have to be upgraded to handle the power and torque. IMO, the 7.3L isn't that great of a donor in this case due to space.

Now on the other hand get yourself a little 4BT Cummins. Its basically a 6BT (5.9L) with the back 2 cylinders lopped off. It weighs in about the same as a 351W, so weight isn't an issue. Actually that would make it lighter than a 5.4L wouldn't it? As I recall the modular engines were kind of pigs in the weight department. The 4BT isn't going to be a huge powerhouse, so don't plan on hanging with the 600+hp Cummins guys, but it can make respectable power. The other advantage is that I've heard quite a few reports of these engines making 25-30 mpg in lighter trucks like Rangers. You might be around 20mpg or so in an expedition. The advantage is that since the motor is small very little under hood mods would need to be done and you could fab up an intercooler. Plus your V8 cooling system could be used. A Chevy SB trans can bolt up to it as I recall, so you've got some options there. There are essentially no electronics to hook up, so you wouldn't have to deal with the wiring nightmare that any engine like the PSD, 24V Cummins, Duramax, etc will have. There are usually a few 4BTs selling on Ebay, and they also were used in alot of delivery van repowers.

The diesel conversion won't be for the faint of heart or light of wallet, but its a good project and can have alot of potential. A 4BT Cummins with a 5spd conversion in an Expy would be pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke swap