Expedition / Navigator

4.6L and towing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L and towing.

Towing approximate 3500lbs in the mountains of colorado. Getting less than stellar results.

I'm not looking to break any speed records but I'd like to hear some low cost high benefit upgrades for the 4.6L engine. I hate the gearing on the Expy because after you get out of first gear the car is Gutless! Ideas?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 AM
If you are running a stock tune, oye. I don't tow and I couldn't stand driving it (I have on 03 w/ 4.6). I got a Troyer tuned Xcal2 - huge difference in driveability. Ihave added an airforce one intake and recently added electric fans from Flex a lite. The fans added about 1-1.5 mpgs and a little more power throughout the range.

I also took off the roof rack to reduce drag, and I may look into getting something called Air Tabs (vortex generators) to further reduce drag.

Anyhow, the things I've done have made great improvements. Too bad it doesn't come like that from the factory.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Xcal 1 or 2?

Originally Posted by waterman308
If you are running a stock tune, oye. I don't tow and I couldn't stand driving it (I have on 03 w/ 4.6). I got a Troyer tuned Xcal2 - huge difference in driveability. Ihave added an airforce one intake and recently added electric fans from Flex a lite. The fans added about 1-1.5 mpgs and a little more power throughout the range.

I also took off the roof rack to reduce drag, and I may look into getting something called Air Tabs (vortex generators) to further reduce drag.

Anyhow, the things I've done have made great improvements. Too bad it doesn't come like that from the factory.
How hard is it to install these Xcal chips? Do I need a Xcal 2? or will the Xcal 1 work? I would much prefer to set and forget rather than tinker with it all the time.

Much Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 AM
What i was referring to was a programmer, available from many sources but I got mine through Troyer Performance who is a sponsor on this site.

He will send you a questionaire that is fairly detailed, but all info you can find right off your truck. It will then take about 6 weeks (ugh) to get the programs and the tuner. What happens is the flash tuner is mailed to you, and later the tune programs are emailed. Software comes with the tuner for the PC to move the email files to the tuner. Then the tuner is plugged into the OBD port on the truck (under the dash, under the steering column) and you re-flash the truck's computer with a new program that has modified a/f ratio tables, shift points etc.

It will make the truck run completely differently. Like it should have from the factory. The cost is around $400. The waiting is the hardest part.

Or, you can go to any performance shop and buy a generic SuperChips programmer for a little less. Does the same thing, but, does not come with programs customized to your vehicle. You do have to get the one for your year and model though.

I added a cold air intake, efans and the tuner. I also use Royal Purple oil, changed my O2 sensors at 40K miles. I don't get the greatest mpg's (16.5 is my best combined), but I probably picked up more than 30 hp and better torque and much smoother shifting/driving.

There are not cheep/big improvement mods. Good mods cost $$.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 PM
What is you rearend ratio? If you have 3.55 gears like i do it will feel pretty gutless. Swap them to 3.73 gears. It will feel alot better. The tuner is the best first option however.

Quick Reply: 4.6L and towing.