Expedition / Navigator

07 Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Owners...

Are you considering upgrading the stock speakers? I have an EB and I would like to replace the OEM tweeter and woofer up front. I have thought about the Infinity 6810cs, the 6x8 components.

I hope I can wiggle the OEM tweeter out and put the Infinity in there. I think the OEM HU can push these at least as good as the stockers. Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Is this the only upgrade you're looking at making? Do you have the audiophile stereo?

I upgraded my '06 door front speakers to JBL 6x8 components with the tweeters sitting in the corner of the dash right where the glass meets the hood. They sounded great and were a huge improvement over the '06 audiophile speakers.

I traded in my '06 for an '07 (needed the extra space of the EL with kid #6 on the way!) and I've been very impressed with the audiophile system. The addition of the tweeters mounted high on the door cured the biggest deficiency for me, which was lack of any highs and a general "low staging" of the audio (low as in physically -- by the knees).

My biggest problem with the '07 is the rattling subwoofer. I only notice the rattle during certain songs with bass that hits a certain frequency. It's not the sub bottoming out I don't think either, because I can hear it even at very low volumes.

I'm taking my Expedition to a really good shop here in LA tomorrow to alleviate that problem. They're going to build me a fairly small box for my Alpine 10" sub that can be moved around easily to adjust for cargo, or can be quickly disconnected and removed altogether for max cargo capacity. They're going to remove the factory sub and hide the new 6-channel JBL amp inside the factory sub housing. I'm keeping my factory head unit because I really like the 6-disc mp3 feature and like the factory look. I'll post here after everything's done and let you know how it turned out.

I'll talk to the guys there about the benefits of upgrading the fronts and let you know what they say, although I doubt I'll do that now, as the work I described above is gonna cost me about a grand.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by JasonMerrick
Is this the only upgrade you're looking at making? Do you have the audiophile stereo?

I upgraded my '06 door front speakers to JBL 6x8 components with the tweeters sitting in the corner of the dash right where the glass meets the hood. They sounded great and were a huge improvement over the '06 audiophile speakers.

I traded in my '06 for an '07 (needed the extra space of the EL with kid #6 on the way!) and I've been very impressed with the audiophile system. The addition of the tweeters mounted high on the door cured the biggest deficiency for me, which was lack of any highs and a general "low staging" of the audio (low as in physically -- by the knees).

My biggest problem with the '07 is the rattling subwoofer. I only notice the rattle during certain songs with bass that hits a certain frequency. It's not the sub bottoming out I don't think either, because I can hear it even at very low volumes.

I'm taking my Expedition to a really good shop here in LA tomorrow to alleviate that problem. They're going to build me a fairly small box for my Alpine 10" sub that can be moved around easily to adjust for cargo, or can be quickly disconnected and removed altogether for max cargo capacity. They're going to remove the factory sub and hide the new 6-channel JBL amp inside the factory sub housing. I'm keeping my factory head unit because I really like the 6-disc mp3 feature and like the factory look. I'll post here after everything's done and let you know how it turned out.

I'll talk to the guys there about the benefits of upgrading the fronts and let you know what they say, although I doubt I'll do that now, as the work I described above is gonna cost me about a grand.
That sounds like a great plan. So for now you will run your four door speakers off the JBL amp?

I like the sound stage of the 07 but I am not keen on the characteristics of the stock tweeter. I would like it to be a tad more detailed.

FWIW, I too get some kind of faint rattle when I have certain songs. I have pinpointed it to the overhead console.

Quick Reply: 07 Owners...