Expedition / Navigator

2007 Expedition Radio + speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what size the compnents are I'll have to check but they are about the same as the factory ones that I took out (if that helps).

Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Well I ended up buying some Polk DB series speakers (6.5" components for the front doors and 5x7's for the back). I had them installed, since I wasn't confident enough that I could do it myself without screwing anything up. They turned out great! The clarity of the music is 100% better than before. Even when really cranked up, you can understand every word, and there is no distortion. When I tried cranking up the factory speakers, I was surprised at how loud they would go, but they were definitely painful to listen to that loud. These sound great and don't hurt your ears when they're cranked up.

Very happy with the purchase.

Now I just need to figure out how to remove the trim panel where my factory sub used to be, so I can access my amp and change the crossover points. The installer who did my amp is not the guy who did my speakers, so I'd feel bad going back to him now and asking him to retune the amp for the new speakers I bought somewhere else!

Anyone have pointers on removing the cargo area driver's side trim panel?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by JasonMerrick
Well I ended up buying some Polk DB series speakers (6.5" components for the front doors and 5x7's for the back). I had them installed, since I wasn't confident enough that I could do it myself without screwing anything up. They turned out great! The clarity of the music is 100% better than before. Even when really cranked up, you can understand every word, and there is no distortion. When I tried cranking up the factory speakers, I was surprised at how loud they would go, but they were definitely painful to listen to that loud. These sound great and don't hurt your ears when they're cranked up.

Very happy with the purchase.

Now I just need to figure out how to remove the trim panel where my factory sub used to be, so I can access my amp and change the crossover points. The installer who did my amp is not the guy who did my speakers, so I'd feel bad going back to him now and asking him to retune the amp for the new speakers I bought somewhere else!

Anyone have pointers on removing the cargo area driver's side trim panel?
Nice. Did they put the tweeters in the factory locations up front?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I haven't pulled off the rear quarter panels yet but its in the near future. I am planning on installing a set of tweeters in the very back upper corners facing forward. I'll let you know how easily or hard it is to take off. Looks like we are the only 3 brave enough to customize the 07's LOL. Well I'm still struggling with the radio install. I finally got hte $80 harness its definetly different. Somehting about ford going with a CAN BUS instead of a regular harness but whatever as long as it works. Now all I have to do is figure out how to ge the factory sub to work with it...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by MotorPsycho911
I haven't pulled off the rear quarter panels yet but its in the near future. I am planning on installing a set of tweeters in the very back upper corners facing forward. I'll let you know how easily or hard it is to take off. Looks like we are the only 3 brave enough to customize the 07's LOL. Well I'm still struggling with the radio install. I finally got hte $80 harness its definetly different. Somehting about ford going with a CAN BUS instead of a regular harness but whatever as long as it works. Now all I have to do is figure out how to ge the factory sub to work with it...
Hmm. $80?? Are you sure you have the correct harness? The harness should also have a RCA input line for the sub-out on your aftermarket deck. Similar to this pic. http://i24.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/b4/1f/30_1_sbl.JPG

Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Yepp its the right harness Metra XSVI-5520 if your interested. This deal with the CAN BUS is a real PIA So if you decide change out your radio you will need the XSVI-5520 for the radio and the 70-5522 if you want to keep the factory sub and the 40-CR10 for the antenna. Because of the new setup you need to run a remote turn on directly from the fuse box to the radio. One problem I am still trying to work out is the loud thud when I turn the key on. Seems like the amp is getting power before the radio sends the signal. Not a big deal but annoying. I'll stop by tweeter or Myer Emco and see if anyone there knows how to get around that little hickup. Other than that it should be smooth sailing. Did you try the speaker install yet Buzzz?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Nice. Did they put the tweeters in the factory locations up front?
Yes they did. I thought about having him pry off the factory screens to cover the new tweeters, but I kind of like the small Polk DB logos showing. It's the only visible sign of upgrade other than my sub box in the back.

I also swung back by the installer today to return a tool he left in my truck and asked him about removing the rear trim panel. It looks like a lot of plastic has to come off to be able to remove that one piece. I think I might be able to reach through the opening created by the panel for the fuel pump shutoff and access the amp's crossover/gain controls through there. That will be my first plan at least!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by MotorPsycho911
Yepp its the right harness Metra XSVI-5520 if your interested. This deal with the CAN BUS is a real PIA So if you decide change out your radio you will need the XSVI-5520 for the radio and the 70-5522 if you want to keep the factory sub and the 40-CR10 for the antenna. Because of the new setup you need to run a remote turn on directly from the fuse box to the radio. One problem I am still trying to work out is the loud thud when I turn the key on. Seems like the amp is getting power before the radio sends the signal. Not a big deal but annoying. I'll stop by tweeter or Myer Emco and see if anyone there knows how to get around that little hickup. Other than that it should be smooth sailing. Did you try the speaker install yet Buzzz?
Not yet but I will be doing it in the next couple of weeks

Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes they did. I thought about having him pry off the factory screens to cover the new tweeters, but I kind of like the small Polk DB logos showing. It's the only visible sign of upgrade other than my sub box in the back.

I also swung back by the installer today to return a tool he left in my truck and asked him about removing the rear trim panel. It looks like a lot of plastic has to come off to be able to remove that one piece. I think I might be able to reach through the opening created by the panel for the fuel pump shutoff and access the amp's crossover/gain controls through there. That will be my first plan at least!
Sweet. I am really happy Ford has finally put a tweeter in an ok position instead of low on the door. Makes upgrades like this that much easier.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Well, turns out I don't have to remove the rear trim to get at my amp's controls afterall... scraped up my arm reaching through that access panel, but I was able to successfully change all the crossover settings to better suit the new speakers.

I have been happy with every single upgrade I've made so far, but I've gotta say I am EXTREMELY PLEASED now that the crossovers are set correctly. Even with the sub turned off, these Polks really crank out some very high quality sound.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Well, turns out I don't have to remove the rear trim to get at my amp's controls afterall... scraped up my arm reaching through that access panel, but I was able to successfully change all the crossover settings to better suit the new speakers.

I have been happy with every single upgrade I've made so far, but I've gotta say I am EXTREMELY PLEASED now that the crossovers are set correctly. Even with the sub turned off, these Polks really crank out some very high quality sound.

How big of a sub and amp can you squeeze back there. I would love to replace the factory sub. any info would be great. I have 3 flippin' subs/amps/boxes in the garage....
thx

Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by zoo crew
How big of a sub and amp can you squeeze back there. I would love to replace the factory sub. any info would be great. I have 3 flippin' subs/amps/boxes in the garage....
thx
I only installed the amp inside the original factory sub panel, it's a pretty good sized amp though...

19-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 12-3/8"D (according to Crutchfield).

The sub is a single 10" Alpine mounted down-firing in a box sitting loose in the cargo area so that it can be easily moved or removed as cargo needs dictate. I'll try to post some actual pics of my stuff in the next few days, although there won't be much to see since it's pretty stealth.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I only installed the amp inside the original factory sub panel, it's a pretty good sized amp though...

19-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 12-3/8"D (according to Crutchfield).

The sub is a single 10" Alpine mounted down-firing in a box sitting loose in the cargo area so that it can be easily moved or removed as cargo needs dictate. I'll try to post some actual pics of my stuff in the next few days, although there won't be much to see since it's pretty stealth.

that'd be great. the dimensions are helpful too. I think I see the factory stuff getting yanked in the future.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Pics Post 1 of 2

Alright, as promised, here are some pics... not much to look at though!

Name:  tweeter.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  125.7 KB
Polk db6501 Component Tweeter mounted in factory location.

Name:  amp03.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  125.6 KB
The JBL GTO755.6 II is hiding in there somewhere...

Name:  amp01.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  91.4 KB
Slightly zoomed in...

Name:  amp02.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  70.9 KB
...and a little more...

Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Pics Post 2 of 2

Name:  sub01.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  109.6 KB
Downfiring Alpine Type-S 10" sub...

Name:  sub02.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  108.6 KB
The shelf can still be in the "up" position with the sub.

Name:  sub03.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  133.3 KB
Yes, there really is a sub in there!

Name:  subgaincontrol.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  85.4 KB
Last but not least, my sub gain control.

Quick Reply: 2007 Expedition Radio + speaker install