Expedition / Navigator

Engine Noise with Videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 07:18 PM
|
Engine Noise with Videos

ok my wife has an 06 ford Expedition it was making a loud growling noise on cold start-up only (first thing in the morning) every day.... couldnt really pin-point it, i decided to take a video of the noise and post it to see if anybody had a similar problem and the noise had changed to a loud, quick, aggressive rattle... here's the links to the vids

normal start-up, this video was actually taken after the second video
Click here to watch Expedtiton

now here's the noisy one, once i open the hood there is a lot of wind noise but you can hear the engine fowards the end when i block the mic from the wind....
Click here to watch Expedition-Noisy

Old 07-17-2007 | 05:47 AM
|
no one?

Old 07-17-2007 | 01:07 PM
I sometimes get some sort of growling when I start up. From inside, it sounds almost like the growl of cat-back exhaust when I crank it. Is this kinnda like what you are getting. I don't know what this could be.

As for the engine noise, it's kinnda hard to hear it in the video. Sometimes, I do get a "loud" engine when I start up. Does it sound almost like the engine is taking in alot of air, and when you start moving and step on the gas, it gets louder? I have an 03 with a 4.6 motor, BTW.

Something I have noticed, though. It used to do the "loud" motor thing in the beginning when I first got it, at random times. Sometimes, it would do it once a week, sometimes once a month. It seemed to do it more often when it was cold.

In the beginning of this year, I switched from the syn-blend 5-20W oil, to 5-30W Mobile 1 full synthetic. I had that in there for 6 months (I know, a bit excessive.) Not once that I can remember did it do the "loud" engine thing.

A couple weeks ago, I went to get my oil changed. On insistence from the oil guy, I went back to 5-20W, but I still kept it Mobile 1. The next day, when I started up my engine, it did the "loud" engine thing. I don't know if there is some sort of connection there, but that is all I have noticed. What type of oil are you using?

Old 07-17-2007 | 06:49 PM
|
Originally Posted by ELVATO
I sometimes get some sort of growling when I start up. From inside, it sounds almost like the growl of cat-back exhaust when I crank it. Is this kinnda like what you are getting. I don't know what this could be.

As for the engine noise, it's kinnda hard to hear it in the video. Sometimes, I do get a "loud" engine when I start up. Does it sound almost like the engine is taking in alot of air, and when you start moving and step on the gas, it gets louder? I have an 03 with a 4.6 motor, BTW.

Something I have noticed, though. It used to do the "loud" motor thing in the beginning when I first got it, at random times. Sometimes, it would do it once a week, sometimes once a month. It seemed to do it more often when it was cold.

In the beginning of this year, I switched from the syn-blend 5-20W oil, to 5-30W Mobile 1 full synthetic. I had that in there for 6 months (I know, a bit excessive.) Not once that I can remember did it do the "loud" engine thing.

A couple weeks ago, I went to get my oil changed. On insistence from the oil guy, I went back to 5-20W, but I still kept it Mobile 1. The next day, when I started up my engine, it did the "loud" engine thing. I don't know if there is some sort of connection there, but that is all I have noticed. What type of oil are you using?
its not like exhaust growl, it almost sounds like the fan but i cant make myself believe thats what it is

my noise is only heard right at startup, its that clicking sound you hear while the truck is starting, in the very beginning... eveything else sounds normal to me, i do hear the injectors in the video but direct your attention to the sound while it is starting...

i am using castrol gtx 5w20...

my noise is also only heard when i first start it in the morning, i can let it sit for 3 or 4 hours and it still wont do it....

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:09 AM
Yea, when mine does the "rumble," it only does it when I first start it up in the morning. I don't know what it sounds like from the outside.

BTW, is yours a 4.6?

Old 07-18-2007 | 05:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Yea, when mine does the "rumble," it only does it when I first start it up in the morning. I don't know what it sounds like from the outside.

BTW, is yours a 4.6?

Old 07-31-2007 | 05:47 PM
i have an 05 with a clicking sound during idle too

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO@Expeditionforums.com
Oh, BTW, I'm over at f150online as well, under the same name.
Hey! I didn't think that anyone on this site was at all interested in Expedition suspension.

Two vehicles that I drove before the Expedition are in my sig.

Good to see you here.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise with Videos