Expedition / Navigator

Steering Problem: Vid included for better idea....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problem: Vid included for better idea....

I hate trying to diagnose something that i can't see or whatever so I made a video so you can see AND hear. haha.

Dude, it started once I hit Washington about 2wks ago. But I had the idler arm replaced about 1.5mo ago. So far in the past 2 mo I have driven appx 6000 miles.

So now I noticed THIS problem. I have had nothing but probelsm out of this damn Ford.

Anyhow, what is this. I checked my power steering fluid and refilled it. Not amazingly low or anything.

The mechanic at Ford said I had a leak but that was 2yrs ago and I just fill it now. Never had a prob, never dropped very much either.

So now what could it be?

Its ONLY when I turn fairly slow to the right.

If I turn left slowly, it doesn't do it. Only to the right as you will see in the vid.

What do you think it is?

Oh yes, I almsot forgot. I got a radiator leak and it leaked slowly for 2wks but sprayed the right side of the frame and such. Nothing major. Do you think some of the liquid damaged something or??

Anyway, here's the video...

To view the Vid, click the PIC and it should start for you.

Last edited by BB123; 08-15-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
sounds like a dried out ball joint to me.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
sounds like a dried out ball joint to me.

thanks man. So basically needs some grease packed into the deal?

How much do you think a shop would charge and is it simple enough for me to do myself?

I've done my brakes and rotors, driver side window motor, idle air cintrol valve, and so on. So if its not too bad I can have at it myself this weekend.

How many hours do you think it'd take?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
also, this is what I have heard from people...

"I'm pretty sure 1990's ford f150's front ends have sealed ball joints from the factory . An expedition front end is the same .

If you get them changed , they will most likely put ones in with grease fittings . I also believe they are pressed in ."

"an old trick is to poke a hole in each boot with the starw of a can of penitrating oil. aka hopped up WD-40 if ya cant grease up it should shut them um for a minute."

what do you think about this?

Anybody else have an opinion? Come one, come all. Let's not all come in at the same time now, haha....

Old 08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow.....Well, if that creak is comin from the area in the pic, then I too would go with a ball joint. I think you have to replace the upper control arm as it is one piece....Someone will chime in if im wrong. Try the penetrating oil and if it works...well there ya go.

Quick Reply: Steering Problem: Vid included for better idea....