Expedition / Navigator

Electrical Issues with a 1997

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issues with a 1997

97 Expedition Eddie Bauer. With the ignition OFF and the key out the truck has power to all the power windows and depending on how it feels. The door chime is on, sometimes the radio, sometimes the blower motor. I had to disconnect the daytime lights because they would stay on intermittently. If the rear wiper does not work while I'm driving then the driver’s window will not work either (but the rest of the windows function in this situation). I also hear relays clicking away when it's off. Sometimes the OD indicator on the shifter will flash. Speedo sometimes doesn't work as I'm driving and the tranny lunges through all the gears. This all happens intermittently and not every day. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Does it happen mostly after it rains?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Sorry spoon man, I've been trying to resolve the issue but with no luck. Yes it happens when it rains, and not when I'm driving the truck so much, it seems to occur when it's parked (regardless of the postion) Since my original post I tyraced the problem back to a water leak - driver side. I guess the water is
dripping on top of the fuse box and creating all these problems. Now that I know what is creating the problem I can't fix it.

I have taken my 97 Expedition to a body shop numerous times and he can't seem to find the source of the leak. I have explored other post on the internet and they all go back to a windsheild leak.

How do I know for sure it's the windsheild?

The body shop that I take it to is a decent one, and I don't consider the owner (the person working on the truck) to be brainless. He tried like crazy numerous times to trace the leak but with no luck. Every time he puts the water to the truck, there is no leak evident. What the hell! The windsheild is the original, but he claims that it is not leaking from that.

I'm desperate and need some help.

Last edited by fordraised; 01-19-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
invader33

Just a suggestion, can you alternate elevating it one side at a time, and front and back and then running water or letting it rain each time and see if you can isolate where the water in getting in at a little better?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Tried that, my driveway has a slight incline (like the majority of driveways) and I would have to say that it may leak more when parked down hill. But it has leaked parked up hill and level ground also.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issues with a 1997