Expedition / Navigator

Questions about my new(used) Expy....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about my new(used) Expy....

First off, I want to say hello to my fellow new forum members. This is my first post as well as my first Ford. I purchased my 2000 EB Expedition, 5.4, 112k, 2x4 about 3 weeks ago. I purchased the truck from my girl friends father, knowing (hopefully) that he’s been honest with its pretty spotless history. And so far my experience has been pretty good with the truck. But everything hasn’t gone exactly perfect and I’m hoping you guys can help with some questions I have and hopefully some good advice.

Here’s what I’ve had happen so far. The first time I went to fill the truck up I must have not snapped the gas cap on correctly and it popped off. The “Service Engine” light eventually came on, which freaked me, making me thinks I had purchased a lemon. But after reading in the manual that this may happen with an incorrectly tightened gas cap I reconnected the gas cap properly and disconnected the battery cable to reset the warning light. Well, now the light comes back on within 20 miles of driving. I’ve reset it twice and it still comes back on. Did having the cap off cause some other problem, such as something with the oxygen sensors?

Second issue, is I’m getting horrible gas mileage. Although the car’s computer says I’m getting 13.5 mpg and I’m driving like a grandma, after I filled up a second time and did the math I’m averaging 9.3 mpg! I’m thinking the car needs a tune-up. Just a preliminary looking at the air filter I found it to be clean. I’m going to talk to the mechanic that worked primarily on this car to see if plugs have been done. Besides new plugs and maybe coils, is there anything else you would recommend I do for a tune-up?

And lastly, since I’m not familiar with the Expeditions and load-leveling system I’m not sure if I should be hearing this swooshing noise of air being released when I turn the car off? Is this normal?

Thanks for any replies, I really appreciate it. I hope to have the truck for some time and want to get this puppy running like a champ and hope to avoid any problems I can. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few punch lines to add to my reply, but, I will keep it to a minimal one. You are very sure or pretty sure to trust your GF's family? LMAO Just take that into thought. How long have you know these people, to trust them? All I can say without more punchlines.

As far as the mileage and the check engine lights, I will have to say you need to buy a set of global COP's and a set of MOTORCRAFT plugs. Do you have a MISS? Any abnormal functions from the truck it self. (i hate calling an SUV a truck).

You stated when you didn't screw your gas cap in right a check engine light came on. (i hate that saying too) It is possible, BUT, why is it still on? Do you have an Auto Zone near? Get them to read the codes and give me a yell back. I can look it up. See what the computer is saying first before I get too riled up about gas caps. LMAO (just kiddin, but, the reason I am so strongly against it is because a garage ROBBED MY WIFE, out of 2200$ saying she didnt put the gas cap on right, before we got married) She met me and I put a set of plugs and wires on the truck and WHALA!!!! Imagine that! LMAO

Get the codes read and give me a yell! And next time post in the motor threads and you will get a quicker response! Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here! You have definitely came to the right place to figure out qualms with your FORD and any other question you may have. I have owned FORDS all my driving days. I learn something new every day on here! It also helps to have the added advantage of having personal experience with the jobs you are about to tackle!

Let us know! And Welcome!!!

Quick Reply: Questions about my new(used) Expy....