Expedition / Navigator

Steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering noise

Wife's `99 Expy E.B. 4x4 (115K miles) has developer a noise in steering. I notice it turning into parking lots or turning on take off from a stop when doing a 90 degree turn. Sound seems to be more prevalent in right hand turns. Basically, it feels like a bit of grinding when you are doing the tighter turns. Back off the turn a bit and it goes away. I was thinking CV's, but I would expect that to happen more often than just the above. So, I'm guessing ball joints. Can anyone tell me what they think on this one, and how much I can expect to spend or if it can be a DIY thing? Just running down the road, lane changes and easier turns it's all quiet.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When was the last front end allignment you had done? I would check the tie rods, and ball joints first, then work your way back from there. Look for any tire rubbing.

I just had to replace all 4 of my ball joints. (2 were wore out and the others for good measure) I replaced control arms and all, and added new shocks while I was in there. I think it cost me 260$ for 4 control arms and 4 shocks. I took my time, and, drank a few beers in the process, it took me 6 hours working slowly. Not something you need to rush IMO. Then took it to get ligned up.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Steering noise