Expedition / Navigator

2007 + Expy Questions from a Truck guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 + Expy Questions from a Truck guy

Hi, I currently have a 06 F-150 SuperCrew and suddenly have found myself in the market for a Expy or Tahoe. I was just wondering a few questions that hopefully y'all can answer for me.

1. How well does the Expy handle 3 carseats?
2. What kind of MPG do can I reasonably expect? (currently get 12-14 mpg city)
3. How much room does that 3rd row seating actually give you?

I drove a 06 Expy before I bought my truck and I thought it handled like a boat. So did the Tahoe though. But, since my wife is expecting twins, I'm kind of in a hard spot. 3 kids in a F-150 isn't going to be fun. There will NOT be a minivan in my driveway.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

EDIT: oh yeah, can the Volant work on a Expy? and what suspension does the front end use? Coil-over or Torsion bars?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look into the Expedition EL or the Navigator L. They are the extended versions, and yes they handle like a boat. The Expy will easily handle 3 car seats, and with the 6 speed should get 16 or so city driving. And you can use just about any add on performance mod you want on it just the same as the trucks. I haven't recently crawled up under one, the older ones used torsion bars, buts its the same as on the same year model trucks, less the ones equipped with air ride.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 98Navi
Look into the Expedition EL or the Navigator L. They are the extended versions, and yes they handle like a boat. The Expy will easily handle 3 car seats, and with the 6 speed should get 16 or so city driving. And you can use just about any add on performance mod you want on it just the same as the trucks. I haven't recently crawled up under one, the older ones used torsion bars, buts its the same as on the same year model trucks, less the ones equipped with air ride.
the 6 speed has me really interested. I already get crappy MPG, so I'm not exactly worried in that respect. I've never had 3rd row seating, so wondering about the + and - of it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
Hi, I currently have a 06 F-150 SuperCrew and suddenly have found myself in the market for a Expy or Tahoe. I was just wondering a few questions that hopefully y'all can answer for me.

1. How well does the Expy handle 3 carseats?
2. What kind of MPG do can I reasonably expect? (currently get 12-14 mpg city)
3. How much room does that 3rd row seating actually give you?

I drove a 06 Expy before I bought my truck and I thought it handled like a boat. So did the Tahoe though. But, since my wife is expecting twins, I'm kind of in a hard spot. 3 kids in a F-150 isn't going to be fun. There will NOT be a minivan in my driveway.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

EDIT: oh yeah, can the Volant work on a Expy? and what suspension does the front end use? Coil-over or Torsion bars?

I'm In the same boat as you are. We had a Lexus GX470 and 2 car seats were not very comfortable, AND I REFUSED TO GET A MINIVAN!!so we purchased an 07 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Hands down best SUV we test drove and very comfortable. We didn't get the EL, but in hind sight we probably should have. At the time we purchased the EXPY we had 2 kids and now we are expecting our third, so We'll have to put our oldest in a booster in the 3rd row since we got the captains seats in the 2nd row. I think it drives amazingly well for such a large SUV and the fold flat seats are great! Mileage varies, but the best I got was 21 MPG keeping it on Cruise most of the time on a 300 mile trip to Michigan. 3rd row is very comfortable. I'm 6'2 and about 250 and I had plenty of room back there. Tahoe was lacking power and comfort of the expy, plus lugging the 3rd row seats out is a pain in the a$$. Go with the EL and get the AC seats!!!!

Pics in my gallery.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 PM

What is a FTX? I love the way your truck looks.

the more I look into it, the more I think I want the Expy EL with 2nd row buckets

doesn't the rearmost seat fold down flat?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
What is a FTX? I love the way your truck looks.

the more I look into it, the more I think I want the Expy EL with 2nd row buckets

doesn't the rearmost seat fold down flat?
Thanks! Tuscany trucks does a conversion of the f-150. Basically its a combination of different parts from different manufactures thrown together under one single package. MSRP is way over priced but I got mine in 05 for 42K. I love it but alot of guys in this forum think its over the top. Anyway, I think you can't go wrong with the EL, its got a ton of room , especially if you plan on traveling with 3 kids. Yes, the 3rd row does fold flat and the entire truck is very comfortable and you won't regret it!! Good luck!!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 AM

I went window shopping with the wife today. We found a 2007 Expy XLT that had 14k miles. Nice looking, but very bare option wise. They wanted $35k firm for it. There was a 08 next to it with same options for $39k

Kelly BB For the 07 Expy

^ is the KBB estimated price for that vehicle. $27,700 is wildly different from $35k...Those guys were pretty much drooling at the chance to have me trade-in my 06 FX4 Luxury (20k miles).

I wasn't impressed with the 6 speed either...the Expy just lacked *****...for lack of a better term

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I went window shopping with the wife today. We found a 2007 Expy XLT that had 14k miles. Nice looking, but very bare option wise. They wanted $35k firm for it. There was a 08 next to it with same options for $39k

Kelly BB For the 07 Expy

^ is the KBB estimated price for that vehicle. $27,700 is wildly different from $35k...Those guys were pretty much drooling at the chance to have me trade-in my 06 FX4 Luxury (20k miles).

I wasn't impressed with the 6 speed either...the Expy just lacked *****...for lack of a better term

Well it is under powered, but its give and take. If you want a rocket for an SUV, then maybe take a look at the Escalade or Sequoia. Ford just makes under powered engines across the line...its really too bad. 35K for an 07 XLT used is way too much!!! We got our EB loaded for just over 40K, they are nuts!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
remember a couple things

1) they always drool over what they think are trade ins (like once I went to pick up some parts in an SL55 Benz and had three salesmen on me before I had the top up)

2)they always want to much, they belive everyone is a sucker

3) check the curb weight on the door sticker. I haven't looked at the newest, but my 98 is 7200. You're not gonna get the same from a 300hp truck as SUV.

and finally, you can always get a better deal private party and with the economy in the ****ter, somebody has definately gotten in over their head and will be selling one near you soon, take advantage get your own financing and be ready

Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 98Navi
3) check the curb weight on the door sticker. I haven't looked at the newest, but my 98 is 7200. You're not gonna get the same from a 300hp truck as SUV.
yeah, I know they're heavy, but my truck weighs in at 6,000 # by itself before all my crap and the family. I was just expecting alot more from the 6 speed. that thing shifted like a dog and the RPM's at highway speeds were exactly where my 4 speeds RPMs are (~1600 rpm @ 55 mph)

Originally Posted by MM25FTX
35K for an 07 XLT used is way too much!!! We got our EB loaded for just over 40K, they are nuts!
I agree...I told them the most I was willing to pay for it was $30k and they seemed shocked that I wasn't an easy mark.

there was a King Ranch Expy EL on the lot that was $54k I think. The EB versions were $45-50k

Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
The shift points and power remain about the same, you just have a better gas mileage rating with a little more ratio in 6 gears

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do a little research you will find plenty of deals around. We bought our 07 Navigator right before Xmas and got a great deal on it, brand new. They still have pretty good rebates on them in the States and they are great, and i really love the 6 speed transmission.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM

problem is, the dealerships here in Hawaii tack on a $4,000+ "mark-up" on vehicles. I may have to fly to the States and ship a vehicle back just to get a decent deal

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
$4k just for HI? That blows ****. Whats the estimated shipping cost? Or whats the conversion kit for making it amphibious?

Quick Reply: 2007 + Expy Questions from a Truck guy