Expedition / Navigator

Where to mount brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to mount brake controller

My buddy bought a new 2007 Expedition and I'm gonna mount his brake controller and set up his travel trailer for towing, my question is where is the best place to mount it in these vehicles? He has the center counsel also.
I was thinking of mounting it to the right of the OBD port (but theres not much room) so I was thinking of detaching the OBD port from the dash and zap strapping it to the harness then mounting the brake controller in those holes.
Any ideas or opinions?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
here in the US some states have laws on were it can be placed, check your local laws first. usely it can be mounted under the dash in arms reach of the driver. Thats were i mounted mine.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
On my '08 Expedition, I am in the process of modifying the panel just below the cigarette lighter to mount the brake controller in a semi-recessed fashion. There is room behind the dash, as this area is designed to accept a cup holder that is not installed when there is a floor console. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
It just so happens...

I mounted a brake controller in my wife's 2007 Expedition last night. Along the bottom of the dash beside the emergency brake pedal, I found a place that the bracket fit perfectly. Almost like it was intended to go there. I used the screw that holds the plastic to the metal edge to secure one side and drilled another hole to hold the other side of the bracket. There were ample places behind the dash to zip tie the extra wire to. The controller is up out of the way, but it is still accessible when needed. My wife even said it looked good in that spot If you would like to see some pics I can get you some when I get home from work.

Quick Reply: Where to mount brake controller