Expedition / Navigator

At it again.. custom sub box...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At it again.. custom sub box...

So... many of you had seen my small 10" woofer box that I built in my gallery... and since I traded the '06 Screw in for the '08 Expy I've had everything from the box from the pickup to and old store bought thing with the same 10" in it, to a Pioneer 12" in a simple rectangle from an old minivan...

Well, none of those options were color matched, or beefy enough IMO...

So I'm reviving the true bump and boom by building a box for a single down firing JL 15" that I had sitting in the garage from an isobaric application (that I had in an Aveo )...

Anyway... I may post pics of the finished product, but I did not document the whole process like before...

The measurements are basically 17" on the bottom (the sub mounts here), about 14" on the top, 10" high and about 34" across (or the width of the larger split bench in the third row). It will end up looking like a shelf, carpeted black to match (or nearest I could find). Oh yeah, the slant is the angle of the third row from bottom to top... and it fits flush against the seat.

Should be done tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:29 AM
blurry pic

Here's a pic tonight of it on the garage floor, upside down, and finished...

It is in the Expy... it is POUNDING!! It is too dark to see it with a camera on a cell phone tonight...

I'll get some pics in the daylight tomorrow... or the next day...

Anyway... it's jammin'!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
bright and sunny

Here's a pic today... man it's bright outside!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Cool!

I guess this is the route I am going to have to take. There is just NO room to hide a sub under a seat in these things.

I am thinking of going the full width with 2 10's. (same setup I have in my F-150)

Where do you have your amp in this app?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I see a red X for the second picture. But i bet its killer

NVM its working now

Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by KEITHHATTER
I guess this is the route I am going to have to take. There is just NO room to hide a sub under a seat in these things.
I know, Right? I like making it look OEM, but like you said, there is just no room

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Yea, definitely not designed for anyone that would want to add a system, and, have maximum useability.

I have found some pre made stuff to use the wheel wells, but, they only offer it for the EL version or a puny little 8 incher sub. So, time will tell.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 AM
My amp is hidden inside the rear panel... under the pop out tray next to the side window.

If the box weren't visible... you wouldn't know I had anything aftermarket in it.

Shoot, when I took it to the dealer without the box... they never saw squat, and they even had the dash apart to fix an A/C issue... my system was so neatly tucked away, it was undisturbed.

I'll see if I have a pic of the amp's hiding place...

Last edited by IROC it; 08-10-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Here ya' go...

Right behind the driver's side third row cup holders...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
what was wrong with your a/c?
nice hiding spot how did you remove the panel?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by expedition4x4
what was wrong with your a/c?
nice hiding spot how did you remove the panel?

Not sure what the A/C issue was... but it was condition of our purchase.. it seemed to be a fan switch, and maybe some freon?? I can't remember exactly, but it was cold then... we just happened to catch that it wasn't right. It's fine though now.. blows ice cold!

I didn't exactly pull the panel per se... I removed door sill covers and ran the wires in as usual... power and remote down the driver's side, then the RCA's along the passenger side and then across the panel that hinges with the seats when they fold up and down... I ran the ground under the area that holds the jack, used the dremel to remove some paint and used a self-tapping screw...

The amp is so light, if you look closely you can see (click on the pic), I used plastic zip ties to hold it in that spot... I just popped the tray out and worked right there. The key was giving myself enough slack with the wires to connect and still be able to move it around.

I think that's the factory sub area, so there's tons of room. I could hide a bigger amp, or maybe even put 2 in the same spot... but for now I'm good.

Last edited by IROC it; 08-10-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: At it again.. custom sub box...