Expedition / Navigator

Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Question

Hey Guys, I'm new here so be gentle

Anyways I have an 03 Exp Eddie B with the OEM 6 disc in dash and OEM rear flip down monitor. I have purchased an Eclipse NAV HU and I wanted to install this BUT I wanted to make sure that I can without any glitches. Please see my concerns below:

1. Will I still be able to operate the OEM rear Flip Down Monitor after installing the Eclipse HU?

2. Can the audio from the rear Flip down still be used through the speakers as it currently does?

3. Will I still be able to use the OEM Sub in the rear?

4. Are there any special connectors that I need to be aware of before I start the installation? Currently I have nothing other then the Eclipse HU sitting at the house.

5. Are there any special circumstances that I need to be made aware of before I start the installation?

Keep in mind that I am not too concerned with losing the steering wheel controls but if your aware what parts I need to retain those that would help also.

I know that I can't have my cake and eat it too but I am willing to sacrifice here and there for functionality. In the PERFECT world I would be able to install the Eclipse HU while maintaining full control/compatibility with the rear Entertainment system for the kids and have the OEM rear sub functioning- at least until I am able to replace it.

Side note: Has anyone thought about replacing the rear sub but maintaining the structure?? For example I want to rip that OEM sub out (What size sub is that anyways) and install a shallow mount sub powered by an aftermarket amp of course. Anyone?

I KNOW I KNOW- ALOT OF QUESTIONS FROM MY 1st POST BUT I AM ANXIOUS TO GET THE A/V STUFF TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE AN UPCOMING ROAD TRIP NEXT MONTH.

TIA

Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Prican...I'm not the person to ask these questions, however, I would like to be the first to buy your stock HU if you need to get rid of it. Let me know

Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm definitely not an expert in this, but you're probably going to need connectors that connect from your HU to the stock wiring. When I put my HU in, I needed a connector that went from the HU to a "universal" end, and another one that went from the Ford wiring to the universal connector. Either way, I lost the second row seat audio controls.

Your question would probably be better answered in the Audio section of the forum.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
YOU GOT IT!

Originally Posted by deerhunter7979
Prican...I'm not the person to ask these questions, however, I would like to be the first to buy your stock HU if you need to get rid of it. Let me know

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
BUMP STILL NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvato- So you lost the 2nd row seat audio controls but were you able to listen through the headphones???? Also were your headphones wired or wireless????

Thanks

Originally Posted by ELVATO
I'm definitely not an expert in this, but you're probably going to need connectors that connect from your HU to the stock wiring. When I put my HU in, I needed a connector that went from the HU to a "universal" end, and another one that went from the Ford wiring to the universal connector. Either way, I lost the second row seat audio controls.

Your question would probably be better answered in the Audio section of the forum.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Haven't forgetten about your deerhunter.

Originally Posted by deerhunter7979

Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prican_2000
1. Will I still be able to operate the OEM rear Flip Down Monitor after installing the Eclipse HU?
does your new HU have Video Outputs?

2. Can the audio from the rear Flip down still be used through the speakers as it currently does?
Does your new HU accept Aux inputs? The audio from the OEM DVD will need to feed the AUX on the HU, then it will play audio on the entire car speakers

3. Will I still be able to use the OEM Sub in the rear?
again, does new HU have Sub Outlets?

4. Are there any special connectors that I need to be aware of before I start the installation? Currently I have nothing other then the Eclipse HU sitting at the house.
I would visit a reputable local Audio Shop...maybe maybe Best Buy. Alot of companies make Vehicle Specific jumper harnesses. You might even want to visit Eclipse themselves. there is normally an adapter harness that takes all of the guesswork away

5. Are there any special circumstances that I need to be made aware of before I start the installation?
does your new HU support Dual or Tri zone? and is it a DVD player itself?

Not really an issue since you still have the OEM DVD player in the overhead, but you might get stuck listening to the rear video...unless it's a Dual Zone

Keep in mind that I am not too concerned with losing the steering wheel controls but if your aware what parts I need to retain those that would help also.
Most companies nowdays recognize the steering wheel inputs...and either the radio harness has what you need, or the adapter harness will
alot of your questions depend on the specific model you have bought.

bold stuff is mine.

I'm no expert, but I've installed a few radios here and there. I'm currently researching and getting parts to install a Kenwood DX714 HU, and 4 Headrest monitors myself. It is amazing the crap that is available, and what you have to check when purchasing

Quick Reply: Stereo Question