Expedition / Navigator

Modding Ideas - What is out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modding Ideas - What is out there?

I know Jack & S**t about the Expy. The only thing I know for sure is it has a 5.4 motor, and a 6 speed tranny.

That being said, sock it to me. What are some cheap/easy mods...and what are some of the more expensive ones?

I'm open to most anything.

My Expy is a 2008 EL Limited 4x2. Already has 20's

TIA

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM

It seems that you can add a leveling kit to these like my F-150....actually appears that they are the exact same part.
I'm interested in about a 1.5" up front, and 2" out back. I plan on running 33" tires when the current 32" wear out...and it doesn't look like I'll have enough space stock without some rubbage.

what I've found so far:I'm really interested in the AS 2"...or the Rough Country kit. But I only want 1.5" to 2" max. This is the wifes daily driver, so it only needs a little bit more room.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 AM

bump

anybody?
the Expy is a hugely popular vehicle.

there has got to be more stuff you can do with these...other than a set of rims.

I'm looking for a CAI and programmer. No luck unless I want a SCT programmer or K&N (crap) CAI

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try google lol or summit... not much help to ya but its a start

Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 PM
It all depends on your wallet, and your patience. There are tops and bottoms of the spectrum as to what can be done. Simple bolt ons, to the extreme top end. Search for Navigator K to see what ford thought of, but unfortunately didn't produce. (think, kenne bell) I personally went to the low end of the high side of the spectrum. I added a powerdyne blower, intercooler, a buncha lighting svt stuff, and so forth and so on. Mine is a 98 so I didn't have PI heads or the 300HP to start with. What I ended up with was about 300rwhp, plenty of torque and a Navigator that would out run a dodge 5.9rt in a heartbeat. Bottom line, I spent about $4k in the end.

But this I can tell you, Mike Troyer can tune these machines like no other. VS another performance tune I had before hand, Mike pulled another 27HP out of my setup, without comprimising the integrity of the 5.4

Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 AM

that is more in-line with what I'm after...thanks 98Navi.

I just traded my RoushCharged 2006 F-150 in for the Expy actually.

I'm looking for simple bolt-ons right now. I was thinking about a budget of about $1,000 over a 1-2 month period.

but there ain't crap out there. I can slap a RoushCharger on there for about $4,000 total, but I'm not interested in that route just yet.

oh well, figures I'd buy a vehicle that is limited to the box...wish Ford had produced a 2004+ Lightning in the new body style. Then I'd have a few things to play with. The 97-04 stuff won't work with my model

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I built my exhaust from scratch, and traded with a guy who had a pipe bender so that part was a FREEBIE But, I went overboard on mine, with dual 3 inch all the way back. That was my first real change to it, beyond the intake (I don't even suggest those anymore as most people have them by the time they get a new car home) After that, I toyed around with alot of possibilities. I had an extra TB laying around, as well as an intake. So I ported the TB myself (if you do elect to do something like that, get an extra one, as it takes time and patience, neither of which i have) I tried porting the intake but that didn't work out as I planned, so I scrapped that. Then I found that powerdyne blower on ebay a few miles from my house dirt cheap (like 1000 for the whole setup) and bought it. Then i started tweaking it with parts as I could get them. After a while, i had stockpiled all the stuff I need for the intercooler (liquid to air) In the end, I wish I'd have had a twin screw blower, but the options for nonPI heads were extremely limited. But in the end, pound for pound, nothing beats the blower for the price.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 PM

have you done the PI swap yet?

alot of guys on the Mustangs have done the PI swap for under $1,000...and the extra HP is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm going to do a custom Magnaflow exhaust. expecting about $300 out the door, vs. the $600 they want if I buy the Maggie Catback
a 20" body bullet muffler with 3" in/out

3" piping the whole way out with a 3.5" tip

Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 PM
maybe since your expy is black you should smoke out the tails (leave the reverse part clear) and third brake light, get a street scene hitch cover painted to match (just like the navigators have), maybe some chrome navigator window trim, maybe a different grill?, a set of amp steps (if you don't have the OEM power folding steps), maybe look into tint?, maybe change out the headunit, HIDS? i don't know just giving ideas

Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 AM

can't do alot with tinting and nightshading stuff.

Hawaii has some very strict laws about that stuff. I've already had to strip 15% tint off 2 vehicles...not wanting to pay for some new, and then have to strip it off

I'm gonna look into that hitch cover, and the chrome accents though...thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Sorry for the delayed responses bro, I don't get in here all that much anymore.

I haven't done the PI swap. Mainly because, with the PI swap comes a new intake (cause the ports don't line up) and a reprogram as well. Add in the fact the Navi has sat in the driveway for over a year now cause I don't really drive it anymore (i had some, um, emissions issues) and there wasn't really any reason to dump more money into till I get the urge to get it up and running again. Not a fan of magnaflow myself, they were always a little to raspy for my tastes. But keep us up to date.....and I have 2% tint in the rear all the back, 13% up front. Its nice knowing the cops

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Ive had my Expy for about three weeks and just ordered a set of tinted taillights from a professional shop online to match the darkened headlights. I also just ordered and SCT X3 power programmer today and both should be here first of next week,I will post pics once I get them installed and will report back on the tuner.

http://www.jonstintedtails.com/
http://www.jonstintedtails.com/Inven...xpedition2.htm
http://www.5startuning.com/

BTW Mike Butler at 5star was awesome to deal with I sent him an email last night and had a response within 10 minutes, we emailed back and forth and I called him this morning and gave him the info he needed. Tuner is already on the way.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM

definetaly get some pics of those tails up. I'd love to do similar, but they are 100% illegal out here.

I've already scraped the tint off 2 cars, I'm not risking any more money on stuff like that. would look pretty damn cool though

but I've been giving some serious consideration to a tuner on it. Supposedly PHP is working on a Gryphon for the Expy...so I'm trying to hold out for that

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah I think they will really "pop" against the Tri Sand White paint.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Hands down, the best tuner you can get is Mike Troyer. I tried a few before him, and he get the best power in the safest way. It may take a few weeks to get it, but I'm currently waiting on the tune for my Mark VIII. I'll happily wait a few weeks for the knowledge, curtious service and service after the sale he gives. You call him, you'll never use another tuner

Quick Reply: Modding Ideas - What is out there?