Expedition / Navigator

98 expy tranny, temp sendng unit placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 expy tranny, temp sendng unit placement

I'm at work, so I don't have the luxury of going outside and looking, plus, If I don't have to roll around underneath searching, it would be nice. Has someone here installed a tranny oil temp gauge? I remember someone saying that their actually is a port on the transmission with a simple plug in it that the auto meter sending unit will fit right into. If you know where this is, please speak up.

Also, oil pressure, anyone got a location in the heads or somewhere easy to get at for a new oil pressure gauge? Figured I ask, having the idea where to start looking will only make it easier.

Thanks in advance.

-John

Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, trans temp should be tapped in where the hottest point is. I tapped my T-fitting into my TOP trans line that feeds into the radiator. That is where you will read the hottest. However, that line is not grounded so a ground strap is necessary.

Oil pressure, I don't think there is too many options. Mine is tapped off the oil cooler housing with a T so I kept my stock sending unit

I have to make a bracket to clean this up, but heres mine

Oil.

trans

Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Did you have a tool that allowed you to cut the tranny line and re-flare both ends and add the t, or did you simply cut it and the type of fittings on on the t are compression fittings of some sort? Sorry to sound so lame, just not familiar with cutting a hard line.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Suspended
line cutter... don't have to flare hard line when using compression fitting such as those in t-fittings.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
might you point me to such a t fittting (maybe Jegs?) so that I have a better idea?
Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Suspended
they usually come with the gauges in two different sizes too. All my senidng units/t- fitting came with my gauges install kits

Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM
weird, my auto meter gauges did not. I stopped by home depot on the way home and located a t there, but another part that I ordered from Jegs came in, I forgot I ordered the autometer transmission temp manifold, turns out its a machined block of alluminum that has two compression fittings right on each end, and a hole for the sending unit to fit into in the middle. That solves that problem. In the same package came my autometer 5727 (phantom electronic oil pressure), I opened it, and I have the same exact sending unit that you have, but no "t" fitting, or any copper pipe, or compression fitting to the sending unit, its the same size, just none of the pieces you say yours came with were in my box. I located the sending unit, hell, I even located the unused hole through the bottom of the block that doesn't have a oil pan bolt in it, looks like a good spot to put it (where you did).

Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Suspended
I got the copper line in a gauge install kit @ Advance Auto... IF you want to put the send unit where I did, take the time to make a bracket, mine is sloppy cause I had no time to do it, but plan to re do it when I get home...

The part of getting the STOCK sending unit out is nearly impossible. . . getting the T fitting in next is even more impossible, then screwing the stock unit into t-fitting is about the hardest. . . lolz

Quick Reply: 98 expy tranny, temp sendng unit placement