Expedition / Navigator

Looking at buying a new EXPY EL KING RANCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. The 2010 order guides came out this week. No real changes for 2010 other than Colors.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2009 King Ranch EL 4x4 this week.

I think the 2009 order bank is about to close, and in my case I am not a fan of metallic black, and gloss black was the color I wanted, pretty much just exactly like the used 08' I posted pics of last week. Ford is dropping good old fashioned gloss black for 2010 and going to a metallic black. Same for the White my alternate choice, it is going to be white metallic for the KRs in 2010. So if I wanted my color of choice, I had to get it ordered, even though I never did find one to go and test drive. I hope I like mine as much as you guys like yours.

Great info Smokewagon, that was a really nice review and I appreciate the mileage info as well. If I manage to get those kind of fuel mileage numbers as well, when mine gets here, that will be a nice step up from what my 07 Z71 Suburban gets. My Suburban gets pretty much 15 all around, on the highway if I baby it some I can get 16 but thats it. Around town 14 is pretty normal. It seems the Expy must really benefit from that 6 speed.

Last edited by cc1999; 05-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the Expy is pretty sporty around town...but you have to kill the RSC first. otherwise, the RSC kills any "performanc"...as soon as it senses a little body roll, it dials things back.

I'm getting about 13.5 MPG right now...but only at 800 miles

Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Is there an off button for it, or is some sort of programer needed?

Also does anyone have sync Nav?

The KR comes with sync but I wanted to uprgrade to sync nav, and ran into a snag with there order pkgs. The way Ford has it setup now, is you have to get a 5k luxury pkg to get the sync nav. Which would have been fine. But I am not a big fan of the chrome clad 20s that came in the pkg. So I ordered the DVD and sunroof, and was going to look into getting the upgraded head unit but I am not finding any on e-bay or anywhere else online.

In the past I have bought several vehichels that were instock on the lot without Nav systems and was able to pickup the head units brand new from dealers at about what the option would have cost had it came on the vehichels.

The way it was looking, I had a choice to either get the Sync nav radio, that I wanted and then have to order the 18" wheels from parts @ about 1600.00 then buy some tires that would proabably be another 800-1000.00, or order it without the sync nav and save the money I would have been charged for the 20s that I didn't want and the sync nav factory installed that I did want. Anyway it was cheaper to order it with out the radio I wanted and if I had to get the Radio I wanted added after the fact than it was to go after the wheels and tires after the fact. I was using the dealers price from there parts department for the sync nav at 3k.

Has anyone seen these sync nav units anywhere for sale at a better price than 3k? Most factory nav units that i have bought have been in the 1300-1800 brand new from dealers that are into online sales.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cc1999
Is there an off button for it, or is some sort of programer needed?
up on the dash above the radio, RSC on/off button

to be honest, you don't need to mess with it. But if you want to get frisky, or are driving on gravel or 4x4...turn that crap off

I was playing in some gravel 2-3 days back and forgot I had the RSC system. Damn thing kept engaging on me. I HATE TRACTION CONTROL. Wish I could turn that crap off permanently

Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Update:
My 09' EL KR Expedition is schedualed to be built next week with a dealer ETA by the end of the month.

Production must be up to full speed again in the new KY mfg location. I was really betting I would not see this truck till the end of July at the earliest.

It looks like it might get here in time to make a couple nice summer vacation road trips this year.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Update:
My 09' EL KR Expedition is schedualed to be built next week with a dealer ETA by the end of the month.

Production must be up to full speed again in the new KY mfg location. I was really betting I would not see this truck till the end of July at the earliest.

It looks like it might get here in time to make a couple nice summer vacation road trips this year.
yep I'm looking to order the wife a expy, lead time is only 4 weeks right now. not bad considering 2 years ago it was 2 or 3 months.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
yep I'm looking to order the wife a expy, lead time is only 4 weeks right now. not bad considering 2 years ago it was 2 or 3 months.
You might want to hurry if you want one in that time frame. I was under the impression the order bank was closing for 2009s about 2-3 weeks ago. There is a normal plant shut down in July for model year changes, so 4 weeks would be really pushing it, if ordered right now. If they would still take orders on 09's it would have to get schedualed, built and shipped in the next 3-4 weeks. If not it would be a 2010 that would not likely come in till sometime in August.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
You might want to hurry if you want one in that time frame. I was under the impression the order bank was closing for 2009s about 2-3 weeks ago. There is a normal plant shut down in July for model year changes, so 4 weeks would be really pushing it, if ordered right now. If they would still take orders on 09's it would have to get schedualed, built and shipped in the next 3-4 weeks. If not it would be a 2010 that would not likely come in till sometime in August.
we're waiting on the '10 model.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Update: My new Expedition King Ranch arrived yesterday on a transport, picking it up tomorrow. I will try and get a pick or two up soon.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a new EXPY EL KING RANCH