Expedition / Navigator

Looking at buying a new EXPY EL KING RANCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying a new EXPY EL KING RANCH

I have owned a few Fords, mainly just SD pickup and a couple Excursions. Back in 07 I went back to driving Suburbans since the Excursions had been discontinued.

My Suburban is leased and its almost time to turn it back in. So I am in the market again for a large SUV.

I would like to here some feedback on how every one likes there 07-09 EXPYs. How the Fuel mileage with the 6 speeds and 3 vavle motors.

Does anyone have the Sync system. I see in the F150 sync, you can pull up weather radar, but in the Expy lit it shows you can pull up a 5 day forcast, but I did not see where it mentioned anything about the weather radar. The two systems look different the F150 system is all touch screen, where the Expy system still has a lot of buttons. Does anyone know what the differences are between the two.

I noticed they do not offer a limmited slip rear differential, ony non limitted slip 3.73. What is up with that.

How is the independant rear suspension treating everyone. I like the fold flat seats, but I do pull some small to med sized trailers, and exsessive tire wear is a concern I have with the IRS out in the back of the new Expys.

How does the room compare to the Suburban and the old Excursions.

I would just go and look one over first hand, but not one dealer in my area has even one on the lot, not one expedtion on any lot within 100 miles of my home, and there are about 8-10 dears in that range. Anyone know why dealer have chose not to stock a single new expedition. I know the times have shiffted, a lot of fokes to smaller car based SUV's, but I need a full size for pulling and long range travel. I am sure I am not the only one.

There are suburbans on every GM dealers lots, maybe not as many as years past, to choose from, but there are some on every lot. What is up with Ford dealers or is there some major problem with Expeditions that has them all refusing to stock them anymore?

Last edited by cc1999; 05-02-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I think they quit making the King Ranch Expedition as you stated in your title a few years ago... you might try looking for a regular Expedition.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I have the 09 Brochure, you can build and price a 2009 on Ford.com and there are yutube reviews on an 08 KR expedition.

There is also an 08 KR EL on auto trader. I am 100% sure they still offer it in a KR.

This is a pic of the 2008 for sale on auto trader.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Ford.coms inventory search locator does not allow you to search dealer inventory by a specific trim level, I looked for any EXPY, there is not one 2009 EL in 100 miles of me, in any trim level, no XLTs no LTDs, or KRs. There is one non EL regular length LTD but that is the only EXPY period in a 100 mile radius of me.

My main intrest though, is only in the EL to replace my suburban, and as with the Tahoe and the Suburban I am sure the short version does not drive exactly the same as the long version. Also leg room in the rear seats is typically different as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 09 Expy's haven't shipped yet, or are very very slowly trickling out

Ford is doing the same crap they do with the F-150. They are waiting on all the 08 inventory to be bought up, then they'll flood (perhaps not a good term) the lots with 09's.

I just bought my 08 about 2-weeks back. The ride is really nice. But I would say it's still almost trucklike.
like you, I was worried about the ride, and the IFS and IRS handling. But after driving it, I really liking it.

IMO, the Expy EL rides like my 2006 F-150 does...slightly softer, but still firmly planted, and very nimble...a bit of a bear in the parking lots though.

I was pleasantly surprised by the turning radius. Wasn't expecting such a tight circle.

And the 5.4 is actually quite powerful when coupled with the 6 speed. I was very surprised at the giddy-up and go of the Expy....especially considering I drive a Supercharged F-150 5.4 3v as my daily driver

I think mine rides so stiff though because of my 20's. If it had the 17/18" rims, the ride would be alot softer though. Unfortunately, it also has "P" rated tires. I'm going to replace those with LT's though. There is just too much wieght on those P tires for me to be truly comfortable with 'em.

Size wise, the Expy EL is ginormous. I have 3 kids in carseats and they all fit comfortably in 1 row, or staggered between the back 2 rows. It isn't quite an Excursion though. Close, but not quite there.

If you do a vehicle comparison between the 07-09 Expy EL against a 07+ Suburban, they are within 1" of each other on almost every single dimension. So basically, you are gonna have the exact same room as your current Suburban.

The fold flat feature is pretty cool as well. It's been awhile since I had an SUV that was truly a flat floor when the seats were down.

hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM

oh yeah, MPG wise I can't really comment yet. still on the 1st tank of gas

the digital readout says 12.5 to 13 mpg's with about 100% city driving

Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by cc1999
I have the 09 Brochure, you can build and price a 2009 on Ford.com and there are yutube reviews on an 08 KR expedition.

There is also an 08 KR EL on auto trader. I am 100% sure they still offer it in a KR.

This is a pic of the 2008 for sale on auto trader.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Sounds good... good luck with your search.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
I'm pretty sure the 09 Expy's haven't shipped yet, or are very very slowly trickling out

Ford is doing the same crap they do with the F-150. They are waiting on all the 08 inventory to be bought up, then they'll flood (perhaps not a good term) the lots with 09's.

I just bought my 08 about 2-weeks back. The ride is really nice. But I would say it's still almost trucklike.
like you, I was worried about the ride, and the IFS and IRS handling. But after driving it, I really liking it.

IMO, the Expy EL rides like my 2006 F-150 does...slightly softer, but still firmly planted, and very nimble...a bit of a bear in the parking lots though.

I was pleasantly surprised by the turning radius. Wasn't expecting such a tight circle.

And the 5.4 is actually quite powerful when coupled with the 6 speed. I was very surprised at the giddy-up and go of the Expy....especially considering I drive a Supercharged F-150 5.4 3v as my daily driver

I think mine rides so stiff though because of my 20's. If it had the 17/18" rims, the ride would be alot softer though. Unfortunately, it also has "P" rated tires. I'm going to replace those with LT's though. There is just too much wieght on those P tires for me to be truly comfortable with 'em.

Size wise, the Expy EL is ginormous. I have 3 kids in carseats and they all fit comfortably in 1 row, or staggered between the back 2 rows. It isn't quite an Excursion though. Close, but not quite there.

If you do a vehicle comparison between the 07-09 Expy EL against a 07+ Suburban, they are within 1" of each other on almost every single dimension. So basically, you are gonna have the exact same room as your current Suburban.

The fold flat feature is pretty cool as well. It's been awhile since I had an SUV that was truly a flat floor when the seats were down.

hope I was able to answer some of your questions.
Thanks for the first hand info about yours. Do you think it turns tighter than a Suburban?

Having had 3 4x4 Excursions in years past I am sure it tunrns much sharper than then those beast did. That solid front axle with the leaf spring setup, really hampered the turn radius on the Excursions. I supose since I was able to get by with those things and no cameras back then, the Expy should feel like a small SUV, sorta like my suburban does compaired to the Excursions. LOL

What do you think of the seats, are they pretty soft and comforatable, something that would likely be comforatable on the long hauls with the family? That is something I miss about the Excursions, I could drive 12-15 hours no problem. My suurban starts hurting the lower back a little after about 5 hours and a whole lot after about 10-12 hours. The seats are just not near as comforatable as the Super Duty seats or Excursion seats.

I spoke to some dealers yesterday. I was told the 2009 order bank closed April 24th. I can no longer order a 09' It will have to be a 2010.

I also found out there was a plant change that may be part of why there are not hardly any 2009s around. The expedition and Navigator prodution was moved recently to Kentucky where they build Super Duty trucks.

Last edited by cc1999; 05-03-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM

I love my Leather captain seats in the Expy. They are nice IMO. I'm 6'3" at 270 lbs give or take a few

I like the leather captain seats in my 2006 F-150 better though. They seem to be about 2" wider. But the Expy seats are still very nice.

edit: I did a 5,000 mile roadtrip in my F-150 and those seats were awesome. I know they aren't exactly the same as the Expy, but they seem close enough that I have alot of faith they'll be the same

Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Very good info, thanks. I am about the same just a couple inches shorter. I have noticed a lot of these newer suv's have the center consoles so over sized, I find I am hit my knee on them when driving, have you noticed any issues with that in your new Expedition. It normally does not bother me in the Suburban on shorter trips, but on long hauls, it does get irritating

Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 PM
They still offer the KR, i run a carwash and see them every couple days. The KR interior takes a helluva lot more abuse than the reg leather, thats for sure

Old 05-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Ya, thats for sure, its a lot better quality leather than you can normally find in a vehichle. I have had a 2003 F150 KR and a 2006 F250 KR, and I love those seats. Thats one of the main reasons I am looking at the Expeditions this time around.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by cc1999
Very good info, thanks. I am about the same just a couple inches shorter. I have noticed a lot of these newer suv's have the center consoles so over sized, I find I am hit my knee on them when driving, have you noticed any issues with that in your new Expedition. It normally does not bother me in the Suburban on shorter trips, but on long hauls, it does get irritating
both of my Fords have that center flow-through console. I love it. That is one of the best interior options that Ford has ever offered IMO.

I'm used to driving a stick, so I ride with one hand on the shifter...even though I can't use it, it is still comforting to me...and I hate the column shifters.

on that 5,000 mile roadtrip I mentioned, I had 0 issues with the console. to be honest, I never noticed it after the first week or so of owning either truck or Expy

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM

btw, any particular reason you are after a KR in particular? The Limited is almost as loaded option wise, and they are a wee kit easier to find....and about $5,000 cheaper The leather is normal vs. the KR Saddle Leather though

here is an interior shot of mine.

edit: btw, A/C seats are the shiznit

Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
We bought the DW a 2008 Eddie Bauer EL in December, and if I didn't need a real truck, I'd be driving an Expy every day. It rides much better than my 2008 Supercrew did, and the 6-speed tranny is where it's at.

Nobody has commented on fuel mileage, so I will. Around town, and I mean putsing around town, ours gets 14-15 with the DW driving. I'm closer to 16-17. She's a jack-rabbit starter, and idles here and there.

Highway is great. We got 21mpg in March on a trip to Sheboygan, WI. I'm convinced that going down to Branson we'll get at least 20mpg this summer, except for the hills where it will certainly drop.

The seats, by the way, are fantastic over the F-150 seats, however, I still maintain the King Ranch leather is the best. The support alone of the thicker leather is great.

Another thing... I wondered what kind of payload the Expy had, since I had to dump the F-150 because our new trailer pushed the limits of the truck and my comfort. The 2008 Expedition EL we have exceeds the payload of my late 2008 King Ranch Supercrew by close to 400 pounds. Why did I even buy the Supercrew to haul the trailer when the Expy would have done it better?

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a new EXPY EL KING RANCH